SET Lovers, what's the one solid state amp you love(d)?

I'm thinking of trying out a solid state amp in place of my 300B SET, which is giving me some problems again and the builder is swamped so it's going to be awhile.

Suggestions? Speakers are 96dB 12" 2-way bass reflex studio monitors from a Japanese recording studio.

dhcod

@atmasphere.  Are there any class D boards you could recommend for DIY builders?  I don't expect it to be as good as yours.  

Ralph, I was recommending your GaN amp elsewhere on this site, but his speakers do drop below 4 Ohms I think in the upper bass range, but there are no specs I can find for your amp if it’s stable down to 2 Ohms and what the power output would be (same for AGD amps BTW).  Could you maybe elaborate on that a bit here?

@soix @hedwigstheme 

A simple drop below 4 Ohms should not bother any class D amp made. 

Our class D will drive 1 Ohm. The protection circuit will simply kick in if the current is too high for the amp. FWIW, a 1 Ohm load isn't practical for any real-world speaker (although you do see impedances like that in the upper octave of some ESLs, which is not a problem). The reason is that at that impedance, the speaker cable becomes an enormous problem in terms of source impedance! This will severely limit the length of the cable and for that matter, decent cable choices available. All amplifiers made will also have higher distortion driving such a load. That distortion will be audible as less detailed and likely harsher sound since the distortion will obscure low level detail and add higher ordered harmonics which are perceived as harshness.

IOW, you can, but why??

@jasonbourne71 and @vinylfan62  I agree on the Bedini 25/25. I have one and personally knew John and Gary Bedini. When I asked for a more powerful Bedini, John and Gary both told me to keep the 25/25 as it was their most musical of amps. I love mine and want to keep it until I die. It is an Amp over watts dual mono class A that makes speakers come alive and SOUNDS live, where other amps seem lifeless (lacking in musical presence). Sadly, mine needs repair, and both John and Gary have passed away. Know of anyone who can restore a Bedini 25/25 to its original Bedini magic? I have tried local shops in Las Vegas, and the sound just got worse (lost its transparency and detail in the bass). I bought mine in 1981 for $800 and it was a great purchase then and still. Would love to have it serviced to Factory Spec or or buy another in Mint condition.