SET--Cary/Sophia 300/845 bassed amps

I have read much. It seems I know even less. I have Montana EPS and never listen very loud. There are several amps in this category within my budget --under 3k. There are two of the Cary300se kr20's and others that are similar;in the adds now. What to get?? Do any of these have the hum,some 300bs have?? I'd appreciate any guidance you all might have. Thanks,George
avguygeorge

Showing 5 responses by avguygeorge

My biggest problem is after reading reviews on most all these amps;---They all seem to be the 'best you ever heard' No hum,great highs,mids,and bass More dynamic than SS . YEA?? Seems like I remember reading the 300b amps are a tiny bit more pure but with less power.--Compared to the 845. Anybody have any input on the Cary300LX20??----What's hot/what's not???
Well I picked up a Sophia 845,today. I listened at this member's house.---( The joys of buying from someone local) I was astounded by how much amp you get for the price. He has his system more optimised with the Concidence speakers.--I can't remember the model;beyond,it's the one with the ribon tweeter. Pretty special stuff.--- So much for how the amp performed at his house;it was delicious. I brought the amp home,plugged it in and,boy,---what a flop. I couldn't believe how bad it sounded. I got a receiver that sounds better.(True) So I used it to listen to the tv sound.---I have a coax digital out of my Sony dss box, so I just switch inputs on the dac. I'm thinking,what have I done? Well about 1 to 2 hrs latter it starts sounding pretty good.---Back to the cd player. Well, I guess the 70mi ride from the buyer's house must have jiggled the thing so bad,I guess. By 3 hrs latter I'm thinking this sounds pretty good. Not to bad for the price indeed. I still think it sounded better at the seller's house. AND, I think my CJ8's sound better here.--- This, for a multitude of reasons.--Room,set-up, synergy,and the differences in our equipment.---He also has a Cary 300b,which he says he likes just as well.----The Cary has had some work done on it, but I'll sure take his word on how good it must be. BTW; on my First Sound 2---The volume is set to 3 clicks from the 6 positiom.---So I guess power won't be a problem.

This is an 'edit-my-own post' This has been on for13 hrs straight. It has gotten so sweet. Maybe not for everybody; but if you're leaning this way (SET)--jump in,they are special.
Well here we are months have passed. I have kinda been all over the map since.---The Sophias never woked with my Montnas. Then I bought some Lowther horns.While these horns have their virtues in the midrange,they are lumpy as hell. The Sophia and the horns was match made in hell.----They seemed to excite the 'lumps'---Sold the Sophias.---I'm looking t'ward the sky and waiting for instructions.
Ok you nosey guys; I got 2600 for the Sophia. Mo, and he paid for shipping.---On to the Lowthers. I have their large bass reflex cab. I have the dx-3 drivers. I also bought their center speaker. It has a dx-2 driver---So I have an extra dx2 driver.---Also I read about these things called 'gizmos' from Decware--a resistor arrangemnt. It realy smooths things out. If you go to the decware site--the guy make sense---well I didn't understand it all but the end result was more than I would have expected.----Maybe only a Lowther owner might understand this but this sounds pretty damn good. That is--- being driven by my HT receiver--a marantz sr9300.--I have hooked it up several ways, but used the rec. to do the breakin, and liked what I heard.---2 rooms away the music is clear as a bell---Depending on how clear your bell is.----It's a 7.1 setup and the other speakers don't match but give off a taste of bass, when it's there. This has been running 24/7 for 3 weeks.The come-down would be listening to the cones in my tv.--Sounds like I got a cadboard box over the speakers.---That about explain the Lowther sound??
I have to say these Lowthers give you a good 'taste' of what folks refer to as the set sound.----This is my opinion. The 845 was glorious in the mids.---Well so is the horn--even tho it's being driven by a skanky receiver.---The expression "more than one way to skin a cat"--( you cat lovers;this expression refers to the pre-amp company---)This driver even when used with said receiver has many set qualitys.