Schroeder versus Tri-Planar

I've got a Graham 2.2 and I love it, but I'd also love to try a truly high-quality gimbaled arm. I'm curious whether there are people who have heard the Schroeder Model 1 and the Tri-Planar Model VII. The reviews on each are superb.

However Chris Brady on the Teres site describes the Tri-Planar as a bit bright and analytical - qualities I hate in audio equipment. He also describes the Schroeder as loose in the bass - not a good thing either, though he hypothesizes that the wood arm wands might alleviate that problem.

any experiences folks? Patrick
patrickamory

Showing 1 response by sirspeedy70680e509

Chris,just some unqualified input.Since my system has been down,for a few months,I have been spending a good bit of time getting as much info,on the designs interesting me,from the web.Obviously the table/arm/cart interface is very appealing to me,and I must state(something you probably know already)that the 301 (fully "tricked out")seems to be a VIABLE alternative to the "big boys".I have noticed many hobbyists,with lots of experience,and wonderful systems(like yours)seem to migrate to a highly modded version of the 301.The capstan drive seems quite viable to me,and makes sense.Also,I have seen a wide variety of plinths employed.Fascinating!Based on the interesting system you own,it really seems to be a nice choice.There is something to be said about unique,one of a kind set-ups,and yours seems to be wonderful,and a great candidate for a "super-301"!
Try looking at Blueangel audio.com,for a fascinating picture of one,of many unique plinth alternatives.This table(maxed out) does seem to offer Heirloom appeal,once subjected to a high quality mod.

Best!