Schroeder model 2 or Morch DP6?

Has anyone out there listened to both of these tonearms? Or even better, have you listened to them in the same system? Dougdeacon, if you are out there, I am betting you have heard them both in your "shootout". I am interested in the sonic differences in the 2 arms. I know the Schroeder 2 sells for about $2200-$2300 new, but how much does the DP6 sell for new?
slowhand
Dave and Doug, thank you so much for your quick response! I will certinly check out the Morch. Doug, you said you heard the Schroder Reference and purchased the Planar. What was is you didn't like about the Schroder?
Also, what feature's do you like on the Planer. Does it allow for on the fly VTA as does the VPI?
Interesting comment you made Dave about the VPI 10. I have a VPI 10.5 and though I would hear a big difference with a Schroder/TriPlanar/Morch, but your comments made it seem that there were differences between the arms but not a major difference. Very interesting!!!

I was also hoping someone in the NYC/NJ area that purchased either of the arms above saw this thread and invited me to a listen. If would be really great if I was able to locate 2-3 'goner's in the area with these arms and set up a NYC shoot-out. Seems like all the shoot-out's with these great arms are in Minnisota or Ohio or ?????
Rwd, I don't want to leave you with the wrong impression. I didn't say there aren't major differences between the VPI and Moerch---there are. But they are both good sounding tonearms.

BTW I notice that you are using a Benz M0.9. I am using a Benz L2 in the Moerch presently, and I have had a Glider M2 and Denon 103R in both the VPI and Moerch during the last year or so. The Benz carts work very well in both arms.

Dave
Rwd (and Doug),

Hudson Audio are the current Morch distributor, and they also offer Schroder arms on their site--not sure if they're also the Schroder importer.

I believe they, too, are in NJ.

I'm thinking about the same two arms, for my Teres 160.

Milo
Rwd,

Sorry for being outdated! Milo is correct, Hudson took over from Audio Advancements, although the latter is still showing both lines on their website.

Yes, the TriPlanar allows VTA on the fly. So does the Schroeder Reference, though not their two lower models.

Cello and I have discussed our Schroeder/TriPlanar/Graham comparisons to death here. Seach the archives and you'll find all the opinions you could ask for!

For my partner and me, the main appeal of the TriPlanar vs. the Reference was repeatable arm height settings. The Ref has a an equally sensitive adjustor but no visual scale. There's no way to accurately repeat a known setting. That was very important to us, since we adjust for every record and record arm heights on each LP. Maybe not so important for others.

OTOH the Ref is magnificently designed and made. I doubt there's a more beautiful looking or sounding arm out there, and dealing with Frank Schroeder is a genuine pleasure. Choosing another arm over his top model was not easy. In the end its all about personal preferences, a fact which he acknowledged graciously. He even gave me some ideas to improve our TriPlanar's sound. He's a true gentleman.

You're welcome to listen to our rig if you're ever in central CT. Not so far from the NYC area, maybe worth a day before dropping $4K+ on an arm.
WOW,DOUG!VTA for every record!That is the way to go,but I'm too lazy for that one.I DO give you credit as it clearly makes a difference.

Case in point--after J.Valin was talking about Alicia Delarocha's pedal work,and sustain,on the London pressing,of the Montsalvedge Pno. Cto,I checked to see if I had it.I did,so I scoped out the exact passage,he alluded to.It was way dry sounding,and thin.This,just after I had tuned for vta,using my usual LP's.I then adjusted vta,again,for this disc,and all was superb,yet my other discs were thrown off.

Different cutting heads and other variables clearly can alter vta(as I'm sure you know),but what a pain in the tush!Yet it is the way to go,if one is really serious.

I did have an acquaintance who had a HUGE vinyl collection(all the early stuff,on every label)and it was his arm that really got my envy going,BIG TIME.He had the Air Tangent,but unlike my pal Sid,he had the version which had a remote control for electronically setting vta,with a digital numerical readout.He had each lp's vta setting marked on the inner sleeve of ALL his "thousands" of discs.GOD,that IS what I'd die for.Believe me,all my little misgivings,about what arm sounds "this way,or that way" would fly out the window,if I could have that "masterpiece".Only problem--It cost about 13 grand,and I believe it may now be extinct.Yet it was NO Dinosaur!!

Anyway I'd be willing to bet you are in better shape than that guy!!All he had to do was push bottons,from his chair,but we get a full cardio workout!