scd 777es sacd sony mod worth it?

hey. there is a gent (think he's a memeber here) who seems like a straight-up guy over the phone. he does mods for the 777es which, he says, really opens up the sound stage and mellows the highs. his name's richard and his website is http://www.audiomod.com/

just wondering if any people have done this mod and/or have thoughts about doing it. it's pretty cheap. i like the 777es as is but who knows what i'm missing.
equipment used with it:
arc vt100mkII
arc ref1 line
space-tech phono
oracle delphi mkI tt
acoustat mod III speakers
vandersteen 2wq sub

as always, thanks in advance.
kublakhan

Showing 5 responses by jtinn

Has Richard given you any real idea of when you will recieve it? This must be getting stressfull for you.
SimonTJU: You are only clarifying the fact that you have not been extremely honest with us here. You never mentioned in your earlier posts anything about how you came to your conclusions, or that they were solely based on other's reviews.

I speak from personal experience, I do not make reviewer's judgements my own. I may refer to someone's review, but clearly state whether or not I have heard it for myself.

Happily Listening,
Jonathan
I am a big fan of "pecunia".

Detlof: After having extensive conversations with Mes I can assure you that your modded unit will be absolutely top notch and tough to beat. SimonTJU stated that the Audiocom UK mod is the best, but I doubt he has heard it or even compared many of the mods. My guess is that after the long break-in period, you will have what is probably the best sounding 777 in the world and it should compete with almost anything on Redbook. If you like it half as much as Mes did you will be a happy camper.

Best of Luck!
My guess based on my experience with an original unit and then a finely modded unit by Richard Kern, is about 400 - 500 hours. At about 250 hours the thing sounded terrible. I almost wanted to dump it at that point but thanks to fellow users who were further into their experience, I waited it out.

The Audience mod is going to be virtually the same wait. It is much more extensive than the mods I had done. It should be quite enjoyable.

Best Regards!
Congratulations and thanks for the follow up. I would tend to agree that as you found originally with break-in on the SCD-1, it will probably be at least the same with the new mods. Although the $2900 may seem expensive, if it can replace your Levinson Reference gear sonically, it will well be worth it financially.

Please keep us updated.