Sakura Systems OTA Cable Kit

Has anyone tried this "minimalist" cable kit? After receiving a recommendation from someone with similar musical values to myself, and whose ears I trust, I could not resist ordering one. I will report on how they sound in a few weeks, but am interested in others' opinions too.

For those that have not heard about them look at www.sakurasystems.com for an interesting read. The cable sounds as if it is very close to the specification of the conductors in Belden Cat5. So I may have spent around 100 times what the kit is worth. We shall see.

If you have not heard this cable, please don't bother posting your opinions of how it MUST sound here. Nor am I that interested in hearing how stupid I must be to order this kit - it's my money and you are free to make different decisions with yours. Sorry for this condition, but I am bored with those that have nothing positive to offer on this site, and post their opinions based on deductive logic rather than actual experience.
redkiwi
I have had very good results using the standard OTA as a power cable for my CD/DVD player. As the player is internally grounded (and obviously is not very current hungry) it was simply a matter of terminating the wire, live and neutral, with a male plug (used a Hubbell 5266C if I remember the part # correctly) and an iec (used a Schurter). I also ran the OTA wire through 1/8" heat shrink (without shrinking it down) just to give me some added peace of mind, not that I deserve it. Just made me feel a bit better, but I'm sure many out there will tell me I'm crazy for doing this. I'd never have the nerve to attach it to anything that needed to be grounded or was very current hungry, but in this application it has been fabulous, improving upon a $350 retail power cord, and allowing me to shift that cord onto another piece of equipment with a decent, but inferior cord.
I've just got the 0,6 OTA power cords for a trial. The cables were well burned-in: they spent some time in a 47 labs system. The IEC connectors are made of a very light plastic, from Japan. The cables are longer than usual: over 3m. These power cords were designed for 4 power supplies/components: 1 AC plug and 4 IEC connectors. My 47 labs setup consists of 2 power supplies so 2 wires in this setup are excessive. I think it will degrade a little bit the effect of these cords. After only 2-3 hours the sound stabilized so I started to listen.
The first impressions are very good, I would say excellent. The sound opened up beautifully with more air in the treble region. Extension is better, both in the bass, which is now fuller and has more weight, and in the treble that sounds cleaner and smoother, with no grain at all. The soundstage is now bigger (positively, the proportions are just as they should be) spreading in all directions with more space between instruments and voices.
Also, the dynamic is improved. Everything breathes more easily with a lot of details. Voices sound smoother and more natural.
The 0,6 OTA wire as a power cord brings new improvement in my 47/essence setup. It brought power and dynamic without sacrificing anything from the 0,4 wire’s virtues. In fact, the 0,6 OTA surpasses thinner wire in every respect.
One thing concerning the bass: it's certainly fuller and deeper but I notice a hint of softening in the mid-bass region. Is it because of the 2 excessive IEC plugs that just «steal» some AC power? I don't know, but I'll definitely get some 0,6 OTAs (for PCs) for myself.
Ivo
I second Ivo's comments. I just tried the cable for the first time yesturday too. Besides smoother trebble and more bass, there is more of a 3 dimensional quality now. I had been considering a sub, but I think I may be just happy enough now!
Ivo: thanks for your post on the 0.65mm OTA power cords. This must be the ones 47/Konus used in Frankfurt, right? You formerly used Electrocompaniert, Transparent, and OTA 0.4mm power cables in the past. Are the comparative statements in your 5-17-02 post only a comparison of 0.4 OTA and 0.65 OTA power cables? Also, how good are your house mains?
Has anyone used multiple OTA runs on the "live" and "neutral" sides of their power cables and woven them together, adding resonance control material "between" and "around" the multiple runs in the process?
Slawney: You're welcome. Yes, 0.65 OTA that is now in my system was used in 47/Konus room in Frankfurt.
I was listening to 0.4 OTA power cords for almost a year so all of my comparisons are between 0.65 and 0.4 power cords.
The electricity in my house is bad, very bad. My house is the LAST ONE from the transformer station so everybody takes the AC power before it comes to my Humpty/Dumpty supplies. I'm going to make dedicated line from the circuit board in the near future. Maybe I'll get something with that. I was thinking to use 0.65 OTA as a power cable from the circuit board to the wall AC outlet.