Sakura Systems OTA Cable Kit

Has anyone tried this "minimalist" cable kit? After receiving a recommendation from someone with similar musical values to myself, and whose ears I trust, I could not resist ordering one. I will report on how they sound in a few weeks, but am interested in others' opinions too.

For those that have not heard about them look at www.sakurasystems.com for an interesting read. The cable sounds as if it is very close to the specification of the conductors in Belden Cat5. So I may have spent around 100 times what the kit is worth. We shall see.

If you have not heard this cable, please don't bother posting your opinions of how it MUST sound here. Nor am I that interested in hearing how stupid I must be to order this kit - it's my money and you are free to make different decisions with yours. Sorry for this condition, but I am bored with those that have nothing positive to offer on this site, and post their opinions based on deductive logic rather than actual experience.
redkiwi
Gray,
The first 2/3rds of this thread chronicalled very closely several AG members making this "act of faith" and detailed quite eloquently their findings on the 47Labs OTA cables/IC kit.
I've been using the 47 OTA's in Roksan and Rega systems for over 1-1/2 yrs now and continue to be impressed and satisfied.
My own positive experience has resulted in a number of friends switching away from their former cable faves to the OTA in systems as diverse as Audiomat,VTL and CJ valves to Exposure and Rowland systems with equally fine results.
Considering that 47Labs does not promote the OTA other than as an recommended adjunct to their own electronics with no advertising of the cables at all,I'd say that the number of non-47 Lab users here at AG exceeds what would be expected for such a product and that they also appear to be exceptionally enthusiastic and pleased.
Gray: I don't know if this is true, but once read that the OTA is a type of cable which is used for telecommunications in Japan, which has received some type of additional treatment. The only thing that I know is that I have been unable to locate a ready made cable that has the extremely thick Teflon insulation that the OTA uses and to purchase such insulation separately is not an inexpensive undertaking, plus I would have no way to properly run a six nines copper wire through this insulation without leaving a major air gap (which the OTA does not have). I have already tried "beefing up" the thin Teflon insulation on the XLO cable with a reverse wrap of Teflon plumbers tape without much success. My advice is that if you are not ready to spring $600 then try out the inexpensive Radio Shack solid core copper magnet wire in order to get a "taste" of what the OTA will sound like. The spool runs $3.99 and it contains three different gages (30,26 and I forget the lower gage). I prefer the 26 gage, but some also like the lower gage (so try both). Carefully remove the laquer from the ends of the wire with fine steel wool and then hook it up as speaker cable. It will take it 100 hours or so for the sound to stabilize. Since the laquer coating is questionable, IMO, I did make certain to separate the (+ & -) runs from each other when installing it to avoid the possibility of a short taking place. This is a single run cable and two runs will be required for each speaker (that is not bi-wired). If your cable runs are 10' of so there should be enough wire (of each gage) on a single spool. I used the RS cable in an inexpensive SS system with very good results (a bit of the OTA sound), but to be honest will not hesitate to rewire this setup with the OTA once I can afford another kit.
Dekay and Caterham, thank you for your reasoned replies to my rather provocative comment. As I rather enjoy experimenting with cables, I will try your suggestion Dekay.
Gray: You are welcome. Perhaps you can take take the magnet wire further than I have @ this point as I never got around to trying a reverse wrap (tacky side out) of Teflon plumbers tape on it. You could also follow up with a second wrap with the tacky side in. I will not have the bedroom system (where I like to play around with things like this) up and running for another month myself and will probably start by experimenting with a vintage tube amp that I just picked up instead of fooling with cables. In any regard, I look forward to your findings. What I did find about this wire is that it sounded better to me a single runs (instead of twisted pairs).
I just discovered that the "Teflon" tape that I tried on the XLO wire is not Teflon (per the local hardware store). I went there to get another roll and discovered this. The Teflon tape that I just purchased has no adhesive (which is better for our needs) and it was very inexpensive ($1.50 a roll). I will just fasten it @ the ends with a small piece of adhesive tape when I try wrapping the wire again.