SACD Players

Hello,

New member here. I am looking to add an SACD player in order to play the DSD layer of SACD directly. Based on my research I have shortlisted PS Audio Direct Stream Memory player and McIntosh MCT500.

Option 1) I currently own McIntosh MA5300 which means I can use MCT500 with supplied DIN cable connected to MA5300’s DA1

Option 2) Purchase PS Audio Direct Stream Memory player and DirectStream DAC MK1 (Both discontinued)

From what I understand the memory buffering and Air Lens would make the media sound better. Whereas, I haven’t found many reviews on MCT500.

Both options would roughly cost the same. I am looking for the better sound. Which option is better? Any advice or insights would help.

Thank you,

SA

rlsammie

What kind of a connection is that between the 2 McIntosh components?  I used to have a Sony SACD player that had a proprietary connection to a Sony AVR and then later a Pioneer Elite DVD/SACD player with a similar link to a Pioneer AVR.  These links were FireWire and sounded very good indeed 

@richardbrand 

:) It's all good. My surround system is a very basic Dolby Atmos Yamaha receiver. Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely check them out. 

@upstateaudiophile 

I am really happy to know, I am also glad that I went with the MCT500. It simplifies things with my setup and leaves some extra money on my account. I am super excited to hook it up and spend some time with it over the weekend. 

@mahler123 

Hi,

The proprietary connection is called MCT. The McIntosh MCT500 CD/SACD player comes with the DIN cable which you plug into the MCT port on both ends. 

It looks something like this:

https://mww.serial-cable.com/din-cable/8-pin-din-cable/8-pin-mini-din-plug-to-8-pin-mini-din-plug.html

It looks like a FW connection with 8 pins.  As I mentioned such a connection can sound very impressive.  Both my above mentioned players sounded much better that I would have expected from AVRs and other components inputting by conventional means into the Sony and Pioneer AVRs were distinctly less vivid.  Hopefully McIntosh will continue to support such a format going forward