Rudeness With 'net Sales

I have decided to go back to dealing with dealers I know, or can meet face to face. I have grown sick of the rudeness of sellers, in particular, and occasionally buyers when transacting over the internet. One part of me wonders if I am cutting my nose to spite my face, so to speak. But I find a pleasantly transacted deal has an effect on my enjoyment of this hobby and maybe even causes me to feel better about the equipment acquired. I am interested in how others have fared with internet transactions in this regard.

This post is probably an over-reaction to a recent discourse with two dealers on the internet whose primary focus in their correspondence in reply to my enquiries was about the consequences of me failing to meet my side of the bargain - stated so indelicately by both as to seem more like an accusation. My reaction to both was to tell them I had no interest in entering into a contract with someone who clearly was going to be unpleasant to deal with. As it happens both are connected with this site (but I will not name them).
redkiwi
Redkiwi,have had 2 deals thru Audiogon,and both were smooth.However,sometimes, not being able to cut the cards makes me nervous.Have seen your posts and i really like them,don't go away!Play on my friend,Bob
I have bought two items on Audiogon with total satisfaction. I am sure ther is a bad apple here and there and I hope I don't run into them in the future. I want to thank Gunbei for his comments about the people here. I feel the same way!
I tend to agree that buying on eBay from those with large numbers of transactions to their name has generally been a good experience. But being repeatedly treated like an ex-con when I make a polite enquiry irritates me. Obviously these guys have got burned by difficult buyers, and so it is the buyers that are probably the cause of the problem.

I have a friend who tends to go to the same restaurants all the time, and does so because he likes to be recognised and respected when he goes out to eat. I have always found that a bit amusing, but suddenly begin to understand how he feels. I think in his case it may be the prejudice against his race that has caused him to shy away from going somewhere new. Perhaps I am getting a similar problem with US dealers who see me as another troublesome foreign buyer.

It is heartening to hear that others are finding doing business over the internet is working for them. How many of you are not from the USA?
Redkiwi, your issue regarding transactions between people in different countries is a very valid point. I can see how both buyers and sellers would be wary of an international transaction.

This is why I must commend such Agon members as Haruo and Robbychan who live in Canada and Australia, respectively. They have both shown the utmost honesty and trust in me, even though I live in Los Angeles, California, USA.

I too have encountered sellers who were very curt or unwilling to offer further explanation of their items for sale. As you said, they may have had bad experiences previously and don't want to go through days of correspondence only to have the buyer unexpectedly bail out. But when I get a response like that my initial thought is that they may be getting an inordinate number of e-mails for the same item I'm interested in, and are trying their best to answer all the inquiries.

That being said, I always try to get a vibe of the person I'm dealing with first. If they seem like nice people and are willing to answer my questions, I feel that much better about buying from them. It can be time consuming, but building a repoire with the other party can help make both sides feel good about the transaction. Heck, one guy even knocked over 10% off the price and said he'd half the shipping with me. And this is without me even asking for a lower price. The price he had listed was already quite fair. So I told him that he was being very generous, and I'd cover the entire 2-day shipping.

Lastly, in my experience the people I've completed a smooth and friendly transaction with ALWAYS leave positive feedback. It can be disheartening when you leave someone good feedback and they don't reciprocate with ANY feedback. Completing a fun transaction and making a new friend makes this hobby that much more fun.
More to discover