Rowland 501 or Linn Klimax

Has anyone listened to both the Jeff Rowland 501 and Linn Klimax monoblocks (or Linn Klimax Twins)? At this point I have an all Linn system (except for the speakers): Axis TT, Unidisk CD, Kairn pre, 2250 amp. Just got a pair of Vienna Acoustic Mahlers and I love them; found them better in most ways than the Linn Akkurate 242s that I was also considering and spent lots of time with direct comparisons. Now I'm considering amp upgrade. Many Mahler owners praise the Rowland amps, esp the 501s for these speakers. But I've been happy with my Linn electronics and have preferred them to various other amps when directly compared.

Especially interested in input from those who have compared Linn and Rowland.

Many thanks
128x128tpy

Showing 1 response by guidocorona

I have a pair of Mahlers and have listened to 501s on Mahlers (not on my system). The 501s do a wonderful job of controlling the Mahlers on all frequency ranges and avoiding excesses. Dynamics is excellent overall. It is also fair to say that the 501 have a slightly cool sound and are not as involving as the JRDG 312. However the 501s are compatible with the new JRDG PC1 external Power Factor Correction unit which -- it is said -- brings them significantly closer to the performance of the 312. I have listened briefly to the Klimaxes but not enough to attempt a comparison. . . besides, they were not on the same system as the 501s.