Room acoustics in a former church sanctuary?

Hey all,
My wife and I have stumbled on an extremely cheap property that used to be a church which we might buy. We are both artists/musicians, so a Goth space like that seems like a fun challenge to turn into a home. I was wondering if a church sanctuary could be used for BOTH producing music in, and for my hi fi. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on room treatments, but it could be a work in progress over many years, in which case some long term investments wouldn't be out of the question. I do feel that a separate listening room takes the fun out of listening to music for me personally, though I respect others for using one (and I am aware of the acoustical advantages of them). The sanctuary is roughly 30 by 40 feet and has a fairly low, barreled ceiling with a rear upper loft. I was thinking of putting my very modest Vandersteen 3a's off from that rear wall below the loft which would project forward into the rest of the space. The rear upper loft would be used for a music room (instruments and the like). Maybe this is an impossibility, maybe the echoes could never be reigned in... I am curious what you folks think.
nickyt
At that price? Buy it! Buy it now!
I drive by a small church everyday and look at it thinking how cool it would be if it went up for sale. My wife would never go for it, but I can dream.
I agree with Timrhu. There was a small church that went up for sale in the small town I live in a few years ago. I drove past it everyday for quite awhile hoping and wishing that I could buy it. I even looked at it with a realtor.

I couldn't swing the money to buy it ($385K), but it would have made for one hella (sorry) nice listening environment and home.

I wished I lived where you do. We'd be in a bidding war for that church.

I've been to Blue Heaven Studios (Chad's church) several times. It is indeed a really cool place. If you guys ever get a chance to go to the "Blues Masters at the Crossroads" please go. It's an excellent time.
Alas! Someone else has made a bid before we've even seen the inside (we're scheduled tomorrow to see it), AND they've got a pre-approval for a mortgage (we both have parents and siblings with equity/resources, but have very little money of our own, certainly no pre-approval). We might have managed with the owner financing option, and an additional loan for renovations, but I'm not sure we are in a position to make an offer yet. I think we will begin this stage of what might end up to be a lengthy chess game by "castling" (that is, not doing much of anything but getting ready for the fight). Who knows, the first bidder may bag out, the owner may not accept their offer, a number of things might happen. I don't know if this thread is relevant to the "speakers' designation anymore, but trust me... a big part of my questions you've all so enthusiastically answered is related to music and listening to music. Thanks for your time.
That place looks awesome. My wife & I just got back from Europe and of course did the church tour thing. We were extremely fortunate to hear four pipe organs playing while we were there. And the worlds largest in Passau Germany was off the chart cool. The accoustics and sound was amazing. I couldn't get enough of it. You may be on to something. Good luck with your Vermont home. -John
Wolf,

You may have missed your calling. Lots of folks are looking for an angle in the tax game, so Id imagine that there's gotta be a consulting gig out there for a creative fellow like you. As for me, I'm off to research cool hats on the web.....