Rockport Sirius III & Micro Seiki 8000 comparison

Arrival of 4 Ears from Germany for Shootout in my Home. Rockport Sirius III Direct Drive Turntable with Linear Arm / Micro Seki 8000 in a unique version with an additional RX 3000 as an interia unit.
Some mods have to be done first, but the System is getting the right temperature......

checking Plate Current...

Rockport Sirius III turntable

with a Lyra

Olympos SL cartridge
connected to a modified Lamm LP2 with a special custom made SUT for it
and the Front End...

Lamm LL1 Preamp

Lamm ML3 Amps

.... now back to work ... more coming
Ag insider logo xs@2xunoear

Showing 17 responses by unoear

Story goes on ..... and on ....and on .... went to bed 03.30 after listening to records and work began 09.00 again

Rockport Sirius III running

Rockport Linear Arm

Rockport Arm

The results are no more less than amazing....but we didn't reach the end.... next mod is in progress ....

Seiki 8000 + 3000 Inertia unit

Seiki 8000 modification

Back to Black

Hello Logenn,

Louis-thank you for your kind words and encouragement!

I am not sure where I am going to be able to locate another Lyra Olympos SL; however, comparing two of the same model FR cartridges will most likely be more realistically optimal. The FR-1 mk3, IMHO, will be a great fit for both the linear tracker and FR tonearms. Inherently the turntable drives and tonearms are of a different mix; therefore, as you appropriately mentioned, finding a common denominator at least with the cartridge will be helpful.

I do feel your similar emotions around the Micro Seiki turntables...they are just, simply, music making machines! Like yourself, I do find them to be a wonderful solution.

Best,
Alan
Greetings, Sam and Eckhart:

A quick post since there has been very, very little sleep these past few days and it is now time.

Regarding the horizontal positioning of the TP tapes...Sam, it was quite observant of you to notice the symbolic horizontal placement that I made of TP tapes behind the TT project during Daniel's and Syntax's kind visit with me for these last few days here in Texas. I was very hopeful that the magic and complete file that they brought with them regarding the exacting positive modifications to the Micro Seiki TT performance would maybe make the Tape excursion somewhat redundant...;-)...the final results will be noted in mid-to-late December after the next installation; however, I remain excited with the possibilities...so, the TP tapes are, for now, back standing at attention waiting their fate.

Regarding the books ;-), I found, in general, that I have enjoyed the time that I have spent with books more than the time that I have spent with CDs. Hence, books along the wall instead of CDs...;-)...

I now have to answer my fellow Texan's question regarding the wonderful pictures before I go to sleep. Syntax made the magic happen with the pictures and I am very grateful for his taking the time to document what was happening here and recording some of the results; Thank you Thomas!!!!!!!!!!

Very happy listening!

Alan
Hello Thuchan,

Thank you for your comments and the invitation; is Sam really going to sing? It was really fun having your fellow Bavarians (Syntax and Dertonarm) out here for a visit. They shared a wealth of experience and information along with a lot of knowledge about audio :-). Seriously, it was a simply a wonderful visit about life.

Yes, you were very observant in that it is quite a bit to take in a short time. The excitement continues to build as I spend more time with the built up
Micros. Thank you again for sending the world-class performing FR-7f
cartridge my way; it is loving the original silver-wired FR-66s that Dertonarm was able to find for me.

Very happy listening!
Hello Rubyboogie,

Thank you for your kind comments. I have enjoyed reading about the path that you have followed building up your system.

Yes, it is the same Rockport, I think that it is enjoying hanging out in a less moist environment :). These are both (Rockport and D.'s enhanced dual platter Micro Seiki turntables) wonderful presentations and the comparisons ongoing. One of the issues resonates around finding another Olympos SL cartridge, they are quite rare, along with the inherent differences between the Rockport's linear tracker and the FR-66s tonearms. Hopefully, we will be able to use two similar FR-1mk 3 Q4 stylus cartridges for comparison when the second one will be available next month, more to come.

Best,
Alan
Hello In_shore,

Thank you for your encouragement and kind words! It is a time-consuming excursion; however, having Syntax and Dertonarm here has allowed for a unique continuity to the process. Yes, we missed having Thuchan here with us. Maybe, we will all soon get a chance to get together in Bavaria; I would enjoy that chance.

Best,
Alan
Hello Bryceeboy and Rx8man,

Thank you both for your kind comments! Yes, they are fine turntables and I am fortunate to be able to find a way for the big Micros and the Sirius lll to find their way here. They both are fine examples of two possible turntable presentations done correctly.

Best,
Alan
Hello Lokie and Rockitman,

Thank you and I appreciate hearing frooutput of you; more to come...siriusly :-)

Best,
Alan
Hello Lewm and Geoch.

Yes, the Wilson Alexandria speakers do have an impedance dip that can be difficult to overcome at times. At one time, I did try the Lamm ML2.1 amplifiers and did not find them to be able to drive these speakers to my satisfaction; however, others have had satisfactory results with the Lamm ML2.1 speakers and the Alexandrias...please see Steve William's A'gon thread regarding his positive results with this combo in his fabulous room.

As Geoch mentioned, I am utilizing the Lamm ML 3 amplifiers. I am very pleased with how they synergistically work with these speakers; please refer to the 2011 CES reports regarding this combo ML3/Alexandria Series 2 speakers; my Alexandrias are series 1. Dealer disclosure for the Lamm Industries electronics.

Best,
Alan
Hello Thuchan,

Yes, it was a wonderful visit; I almost felt like a duoear ;-).

Great news about Sam!

Thanks again for the cartridge and I would someday love to hear more about the lineage of the blue Micro and the tonearm.

Maybe it will require two trips for me next year; one in a couple of months, then a repeat visit in the fall...a seasonal shootout...;-)...

Best,
Alan
Hello Raul,

Yes, the Air Force One looks interesting, maybe even a little like the big brother to the NVS. I will be interested to hear Thuchan's inpressions when he gets a chance to give the Air Force One a listen.

As for the Wave Kinetics NVS, it appears from the inside track, that it may have lost its bearings...
Hello Lewm,

I do like your system; nice synergistic setup, congratulations!

Regarding your 458 Italia...Rosso Corsa?
Hi Thuchan,

Regarding my singing abilities, remember that I will only be fulfilling your direct request ;-)

Hello Lewm and Kostas_1, the comparison is in a process orientation and hopefully we will have more to report regarding our observations in a few weeks. In the meantime, please view the pictures that Syntax has been able to provide showing some of the process of building up the Micro Seiki TTs. Dertonarm's modifications are the real thing!

A friendly fellow has offered to make his personal Olympos SL available so we can have two of the Lyra cartridges available during the comparison, thank you for your kind offer Dlanselm.

More to come on the comparison later.

Very happy listening!
Hello In_shore,

You are right-on about Dertonarm. I can completely agree with your assessment; he has been extremely helpful with my making good solid choices that are the real thing...in my experience, the same can also be said about Syntax. Additionally, they have been very generous with their time and sharing their experiences: this has been a great help for me to accelerate and increase my knowledge along the audio learning curve...quickly to 33 and a third...;-)...

Hey D., thank you for your kind remarks...it was very easy for me to be mellow and laid back! As you know, there is an open invitation for yourself and Syntax to visit at anytime. It was a wonderful visit, we should do it again in a few weeks!

In_shore, yes, BBQ is king in Texas...and, of course, tall tales! However, be extremely careful while visiting the saloons; you could lose an ear...;-)...

Best,
Alan
Hello Fred,

Will do, you are right, I need to tie this thread up...I will post my thoughts in a day or so. As you know, Mik was really happy to add to his mix of Rockports; he is such a huge fan and is wonderfully mad about the Andy's solutions. Right now I am practicing the art of doing nothing while looking at a large pond that was once referred to as, "you know, it is a big body of water;" at the end of the day, apparently he was right on!

Thank you for the kind invitation to visit with you in Houston. I will be back over to the bayou city in April and I will give you a shout when the dates are tighter. I would really enjoy getting the chance to visit with you, thanks!

Cheers!
Alan