RMAF 2009 tips?

Any insider tips for a 1st timer? Need info. regarding lodging options, things to avoid, must see's, etc. Never been to an audio show or had the chance to audition much in the Knoxville, TN area. Still an avid audiophile though, with much thanks to y'all and audiogon. Currently a very satisfied listener and music lover but would love to attend RMAF this year and hear things for myself.

twc

Showing 1 response by pmotz

I went for the first time this past October and had a good time, didn't get to see everything in two and half days though, so I would try to make all three days. I arrived Friday morning about an hour after it opened, I think that was good thing because I heard there were big lines when if first opened. I sort of had a plan on what rooms to see but I could have done a better job of researching who and what was there. The most frustrating thing was waiting to see what others said about the rooms after the show, but it seemed more often than not the rooms they talked about I didn't get to! Don't get your hopes too high for good sound though, many rooms are challenged by the unfamiliar space, especially on the first day. I would recommend bringing some familiar music if you want to seriously compare components, otherwise you'll get a wide range of music, most of it geared to make the eqipment sound it's best (but it could be musical dreck).

As for accomodations the show hotel is definitely convenient, but it is a high end hotel so it's not cheap. I stayed at a Marriott Courtyard about two miles away, mainly because I didn't have enough Marriott Rewards to stay at the show hotel. There are quite a few hotels in the area, but you'll need a rental car. There is a public shuttle to the show hotel so if you stay there you don't need a car. I would make reservations early to get the best selection and rates.

Things to avoid are a little harder to pin down. I wasted two hours in a seminar that was supposed to be about computer audio/servers and it was mostly a couple of panelists pontificating about their product. I didn't learn anything about the intended subject! I would also not waste time in a room if it is crowded, it's hard enough to listem when two people are talking behind you, it's impossible when ten are doing it! You can always come back later.

I'm sure there is lots more to pass on, but that's what comes to mind right now.