Ripping CD's to SSD?

OK, so be patient here with me, I am an "old" 68 year old audiophile from the 1980’s dealing with new technology. I was away from the Audio Scene for 20 years until I came back in 2021. SO I’ve updated most of my equipment. One of those updates is an Aurender N200, which I got this April. I added a Samsung SSD drive to it and was thinking I may like to rip a few CD’s to it for the sake of comparison vs streaming Qobuz.

Please understand when ya all start mentioning file types and all that I am in the weeds. I am behind the tiems.

What I can tell you is i have a 10 year old Macbook Pro running OS 10.14.6 Mojave. I have the external Apple CD drive. How do i go about placing the CD into the drive, attaching a USB cable to the Aurender and getting the file loaded onto the Aurender Samsung drive? Do I need any special software? Dom i just stick the CD into the drive and the Aurender is found on my laptop and i select it as the location for the file. Like I said this is all so new to me, I want to learn. I’d like to see how i like this compared to listening through my CEC Tl1x. If the explanation gets technical you will lose me, go slow and walk me through it if you are willing. And thank you!

You can see my system in my profile. New speakers are on order to arrive soon!

128x128fthompson251

They are not iTune apps, they are computer programs, "better" than iTunes. The external drive only works when it’s told to and Aiurrender does not posses this skill set.

If a streamer is not configured as a ripper you pretty much have to rip into a computer, the exception being HiFi Rose, with their transport.

@fthompson251 

How many CD’s you’re planning to rip for comparison? PM me and I’m happy to help you out! 

As i know install a media player or ripping software on your computer. There are various options available, including iTunes (for Mac and Windows), Windows Media Player (Windows), or dedicated ripping software like Exact Audio Copy (Windows).

PrepaidGiftBalance Visa

Hi @fthompson251 , one solution is to enlist @lalitk' s kind help.

The other is to download a program that rips CDs, one of the best - if not the best - being EAC mentioned above. Click on the link to go to their site.

Following their instructions you will end up with the music file (.WAV, unless you decide otherwise) on your mac. Copy this file to a folder on your SSD. Connect your streamer & update -- and you're done.

What I use, after ripping CD's for several years, is XLD. I've never tried EAC because as far as I know there is no version for Mac.

XLD is a nice and light program that provides you with "accurate ripping" and that you can also use to transcode your audio files if that is what you want (up sampling, down sampling, bit depth, etc.)

Depending on how much of a stickler you are for this issue and if you want to have a perfect tagging of your files, you can use a tagging app. In my case, I use Tag Editor, a paid and very nice one.