Ripping 700 CD's to HD using FLAC-How much space?

Hello all,

Currently, I am in the process of transferring my cd's to an external hard drive using FLAC lossless, EAC for transfer and WinAmp for a media player. I would like a HD with enough space for future downloads but am unsure as to what size to purchase? Memory seems reasonably priced these days and 1TB external HD's are plentiful. Also, I may let go of cd's that I no longer listen to after I have them on the HD which leaves me with another dilemma - how many HD's would suffice for backups? Everyone's advice is appreciated. Thanks, Chris

Currently using:
Windows XP Home
Dell XPS 400
Room for 2 internal HD's (using only (1) currently)
chris74

Showing 4 responses by chris74

Thanks Al for bringing that RAID link to my attention. I had originally thought a RAID setup would be ideal but then again, maybe not for music storage.
Ozzy, to answer your question, yes, high fidelity 2-channel playback is my primary reason for utilizing lossless digital conversion when transferring cd's to a hard drive. The term "lossless" means you will be making an exact bit for bit copy of the cd to the hard drive without any loss of data or degradation in sound quality. Hope this helps clarify things. Cheers, Chris
Evgeny, Thanks for the insight in regards to the amount of space you have used on your FLAC DVD-RW storage disks, that really helps shed some light on ways to store the media using a "hard back up" method other than keeping the original disks. Speaking for myself, storing (roughly) 75 DVD-RW disks would take up far less space than 700 disks with covers, no doubt about it!
Thanks everyone for your posts. I wound up with a 1TB HD (plenty of space left on the drive) and everything has been converted to FLAC. Many albums on the new HD in FLAC format need to be transferred to CD-R. What would be the best and easiest way to do this?