Richard Gray's 400 Pro = Emperor's New Clothes??

Category: Accessories

I just purchased (for $800) a Richard Gray's Power Company 400 Pro. I was not in the market for an AC filter, but when I purchased a new system the dealer gave me a hard, hard sell, promising wonders. This is a reputable dealer, so I trusted him, and he gave me a week to try it out. After using the device for a week, and after ensuring the new system (all Rotel with a Rega TT) was broken in, I followed the manufacturer's instructions to demonstrate the effectiveness of the device (ie. plug the decide into a jack on the circuit and all other components into a power strip) then pulled the plug on the 400. Nothing. Despite trying a variety of source material, I could not hear ANY difference with the 400 in or out. I do not have a tin ear and have been able to discern differences with various interconnects, etc., but this device registered no change whatsoever. I'm returning it to the dealer today. Anyone else have a similar experience? Views?
robreuland
I find that higher the resolution of your system gets, more you will find power conditioner useful.

I am using 400MK II. I am very happy with it. I have 2 dedicated lines. 1 for analog and 1 for digital. I find 400MK II is more suitable for analog equipment. Not suitable for digital. I have PS Audio Ultimate HC for DAC and Chang lightspeed 6400 for transport. When I first put the 400MKII into my system. I plug it into the wall and didn't plug anything in it, just the bass amp(I use bi-amp) on the same receptacle. The bass is more powerful and better control, even the sound is much smoother. Then I plug preamp and high-mid amp into it and get good results.

Even I have 2 dedicated lines and these 3 conditioners in place. Also 2 Quantum Symphony Pro, 1 Symphony and 6 Audio Prism Quietline on TV and computer circuit. When the laundry dryer is on or Brother Laser printer is on. My system sound quality degrade by at least 10% and have some annoying high frequency ring to my ears. I will try Exact power in the future. Hope it helps.
I think you will know what power conditioner is powerful in the HIFI system
Please upgrade your present system
Not nice, container@163.net. There is nothing wrong with a solid system that you can afford and that is still a big step up from mass market gear, which I think well describes Rotel (very good headphone outs, by the way). And Rega makes great turntables at their various price points. Enjoy your system, Robreuland.
container@163.net.

I took your advice and upgraded my system and agree with you, power conditioners like RG 400 Pro are very audible.

Definitely made my system worse. (Not a joke).
Albert, when you feel up to it, try a Furman IT Reference 20 (or 15). I heartily agree with your general skepticism about power conditioners, but the Furman actually works and makes a very notable difference (for the better) in my system. I know you’ve heard this sort of claim many times before, but lo and behold, someone finally delivered.