Review: Sony SCD-XA5400ES CD Player

Category: Digital

I love natural recordings that capture the full acoustic envelope of the performances. The Shostakovich Sonatas performed by Ax and YYMa comes to mind...the Sony portrays the entire event in such an unforced and natural manner that it triggers ones acoustic memory into believing it is real. A player that offers no tone color or openness would be my worst nightmare. I replaced my BAT VK D5 24 bit CDP and was amazed at how much resolution and color was lost on the older design. The Sony re-creates the space, music and acoustic tones with overtones so completely that you start to smile and realize that you have been given a great gift...a peak into the performance as it occured at the recording session. My opinion of the Sony applies as much for the redbook section as it does for the SACD section. This player will become a classic product for digital playback....much better it does not get! It's a keeper at any price,,,for $1500 USD it is a freakin steal. This is Sony's best effort to date and manages to break new ground in the digital domain:)

Associated gear
Wilson Sophia speakers
Krell 400xi amp
Harmonic Tech Cables
MIT Oracle AC 2 power cord

Similar products
Sony SCD-1
Sony SCD-XA9000ES
Sony SCD-XA777ES
Levinson 39, 390S, 360S
Wadia 851
Krell SACD Standard
MF A5
BAT VK D524bit
ARC CD 3
128x128dave_b

Showing 9 responses by metralla

Dave_b,

The speakers are very close to the side walls - is that what you meant to write? In fact, they are right on them. I thought when I first saw them that they would not work well. But they do. The room is not that narrow - perhaps the picture is slightly misleading.

Regards,
Roxy54 writes:
Is your comment meant to be amusing Aarif? If it is, I don't get it, if it isn't, I still don't get it.

You need to get out more. It was funny.

Regards,
At least you know people are reading your review. I am actually interested in this player as a replacement for my much modified XA777ES.

Southpark? Definitely not.

Regards,
I saw a 5400 on the workbench at Allen Wright's (Vacuum State Electronics) studio in Schaffhausen the other Saturday. It had the Terra Firma bit clock fitted, and Allen or his technician were going to fit the Level 7 VSE modification board the next week.

As you know, the 5400 is a totally different chip architecture to what Allen's mods worked with previously. Interested to know what changes were necessary to make it work.

I hear that it's done now and I hope to get a chance to hear the VSE modified 5400 before it returns to its owner in the US.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, but it will be great if this well-priced unit turns out to be a nice platform for modifications.

Regards,
Disbeliever writes:
I will be very suprised if Modwright can make it sound any better.
I wonder if you were referring to my post about Allen Wright (Vacuum State Electronics). I hope to hear this unit on Saturday.

Modwright is Dan Wright and his website indicates that he is almost ready with his modified 5400.

http://www.modwright.com/modifications/15

Different fellow to Allen Wright.

I would be very surprised if the Modwright 5400 does not sound a lot better than the stock model via the analogue outputs. But since you listen via HDMI, the $2000 modification is probably not for you.

Regards,
I was recently at Vacuum State Electronics in Switzerland and listened to the VSE modified 5400 with the Terra Firma Lite clock. Included in the listening session was a comparison between the 5400 and the VSE Level 7 SCD-777ES with the Terra Firma Uber clock. I was very impressed.

If you don't mind following a link, I posted a review on Audio Asylum.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/26/260611.html

Regards,
The 5400 reads CDs and SACDs very quickly. I have not measure it, but I estimate 5-10 seconds. No complaints at all.

Regards,
04-16-10: Audioman58 writes:
Dan says it is his best sounding mod to date for cd
I'm sure he says that.

and for under $3500 total investment competes with units up to $10k that is a statement.
Are you saying that? What units have you compared?

Dave_b - Allen's been saying that for years. It's in his "Super Cables Cookbook" - they can be a bit fragile at the connector. Happy you have found something you like, but there must be more potential in your system.

Regards,