Review : Semier SM-226 AM/FM Cassette Player, Music KTV Copper Tube + Foil Double RCA

Budget Esoterica Review Magazine

August 2022 Issue

Semier SM-226 AM/FM Cassette Player, Music KTV Copper Tube + Foil Double stereo  RCA interconnect. 

If you are still into cassette tapes, and who isn't , you might want to check out the Semier SM-226 cassette player. I plugged this into a mid level Marantz home theater receiver using an Audioquest adapter and a new interconnect i purchased from Aliexpress Music KTV Electronic Store, and the results were impressive. 

The Semier cassette player is currently available on Amazon.com for under $30. For that price, i  consider it a steal. It is powered either by 2 AA batteries, or a 4.5 volt adapter which is not included. A small pair of headphones is included also. So, you have three options for listening. You can listen with headphones, or hook it up to your stereo system, or listen to the small speaker that is built into the unit. It also has recording capabilities. 

My first purchase through Aliexpress , was from the Music KTV Electronic Store. I purchased the copper tube + foil double RCA stereo interconnect for $10.80 with free shipping. I had no problems with the purchase, and it arrived in around 2 weeks. The nice thing about Aliexpress is that the individual stores all have feedback ratings. The interconnect was well constructed and performed at the same level of most of my $50 interconnects, when used with the Audioquest adapter. 

Listening impressions Number 1 - Cassette Function

For my first listening session i listened to a cassette from Marcos Silva and Intersection, titled "White And Black". This was recorded on the Crossover label , a division of Concord with Dolby HX Pro. With a high quality cassette the sound is very good. Smooth and natural with good highs and lows. 

Next up , i tried Blue Mitchell , "Big Six". This cassette was digitally remastered from the original master tapes with chromium dioxide tape. Here , i noticed a lively and present sound . The tone from the brass instruments was surprisingly good. 

Listening Impressions Number 2 - FM Function

Fm tuner performance was equally impressive. I could pick up as many stations on the Semier as i do with my  full size outboard tuners. My Marantz tuner was a little less noisy and smoother, but i felt that the Semier tuner was a little more natural and livelier sounding. The Semier seemed to perform better in the mid bass, but the Marantz had much more deep bass. So, overall better transparency and presence with the Semier. The same strengths showed up while playing cassettes. I also tested both the supplied headphones and the internal speaker and they are both of good quality that rounds out a surprisingly well balanced package of useful features to a very reasonably priced marvel of miniature electronics.I did contact the manufacturer and ask them if a 5 volt adapter would work, and it does work fine. The detachable USB head that comes with most cell phones works great. 

The Semier AM/FM cassette player is not going to knock your Nakamichi or  Magnum Dynalab off your shelf, but it will provide you with more than $30 worth of fun. I can also confidently recommend the RCA stereo interconnect from the KTV Electronic store on Aliexpress. Go ahead and dust off those cassettes and give the Semier player a whirl, I think you will like it. 

honda6