Review on Linear Tube Audio Aero DAC

Hey Gon members,

I just submitted to Stereo Times my review on the new ,and the first, DAC that Linear Tube Audio has just released. For right now I would strongly suggest anyone in the market for a stand alone DAC, regardless of price, consider the Aero. Its build quality, R2R chip set, power supply, internal part selection and the tube based ZOTL analog conversion section leads to one of the most musical and analog type presentations I have heard in the last ten years. Not inexpensive at $3,950, but competes with my reference which sells for $10,000 more. You get a 14 day home . trial. So far no one has returned the Aero after hearing in their system. I go into many details about the Aero in my review, but wanted to give a heads-up for anyone considering a DAC purchase. I believe the Aero is a break through product based on price vs. performance. I'll let you know when the review goes up. Hopefully in the next ten days.

Terajay (Terry London)

teajay

@teajay

Based on your comments here, and the Audiophiliac (Steve Guttenberg) review, the Linear Tube Audio Aero DAC sounds like a really great deal on a very musical DAC for $4K.

Since the LTA Aero is an R2R DAC using the AD-1865 DAC chip, I am curious whether you have heard any of Benjamin Zwickel’s Mojo Audio DACs, which are also R2R DACs and which use the AD-1862N DAC chip? I currently own both the Mojo Audio Mystique EVO Pro and Mystique X SE DACs, each of which use AD-1862N-Z chips, which were apparently a special version of the AD-1862 chip developed for high-end Denon DACs back in the day and incorporate the "Z" designation. If you have seen the Soundbsessive DAC Chip List, they have good things to say about both the AD-1862 and AD-1865 chips:

Analog Devices: Multibit:
AD1862 20-bit – one of the best of the world’s Audio
AD1865 18-bit, very good multibitnik, 2 DACs and in one case (stereo)

Although the output stages are different between the Mojo Audio and LTA models (Mojo Audio DACs do not use tubes), there are similarities beyond the AD DAC chips and R2R design, which include dedicated power supplies for each section and Belleson-regulated, multi-stage choke filtration.

I was interested to hear Guttenberg’s comments regarding the LTA Aero vs. the Mola Mola Tambaqui, since I owned a Tambaqui last year and compared it directly to the EVO Pro DAC. To my ears, the Tambaqui sounded basically "perfect" while the EVO Pro offered a sound that I perceived in comparison as more musical and fun to listen to, if that makes any sense. I also found that the Tambaqui displayed a bit more "high-frequency air and spaciousness" as described by Guttenberg in his comparison between the Tambaqui and the LTA Aero. However, in my system, the relatively small differences in high-frequencies between the Tambaqui and EVO Pro were overshadowed by my favorable perception of the EVO Pro displaying more tonal color and body. After listening to both over an extended period, I ended up selling the Tambaqui and kept the EVO Pro.

If you have heard any of the Mojo Audio Mystique DACs, from the v3 on up, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on how those compare with the LTA Aero.

Hey mitch2,

Yes, I have heard the Mojo Audio DACs and they are quite my cup of sonic tea. I believe the LTA  Aero is more similar then different from your DACs. However, I believe because of the massive power supply/ZOTL tube based analog section that the Aero has great tonality, like your Mojo DACs, but will be faster and more dynamic then your Mojo DACs.

The Mola-Mola DAC is an example, for my ears, of a highly "resolving" DAC that does everything right except make music. I'm not a fan of MSB, DCS, ESOTERIC because they do not connect me with the music. My reference DAC is a Reimyo DAP-999EX Toku, which is a an R2R design. I have reviewed over ten DACs starting with a price point 2K and up to 40K and the LTA Aero hangs sonically with the most expensive ones, including my Reimyo which, if you can find a NOS Toku in the box, still sells for around 13K.

Teajay

Too bad it doesn't have AES/EBU input for transports that have that optimized output

This is a DAC I’d be very interested in and look forward to the review, but I agree that lack of both i2S and AES/EBU inputs is to say the least curious at this price level.  Not sure what they were thinking here unless they’re planning on a higher-level DAC that includes these inputs, but still. 

Hey gentlemen, 

My review on Stereo Times just went up on the LTA Aero DAC tonight. Hope you enjoy reading it and it gives a lot more details regarding why I wanted to share my excitement about this DAC's performance.

Teajay