Review of Dartzeel NHB-108 Amplifier

Dartzeel is a relatively new entry to the high-end game. Despite being reviewed by John Marks in a recent issue of Stereophile, the company's only current product offering, the NHB-108 stereo amplifier, hasn't gotten a lot of press on these shores. Hopefully this "review" will do its part in rectifying that.
As many of you probably already know, Switzerland-based Dartzeel is the brainchild of one Herve Deletraz. Herve is a wonderful guy who's dedicated to the very best customer service. As essentially a one-man operation, I'm sure his time is limited, but he's always responded to my e-mails in an extremely courteous, timely manner.

On to the amp. I'm not one for technical details, so I'll leave them to those of you who want to visit Dartzeel's website. Basically, the 108 is a "purist" stereo amp rated at a relatively modest 100 wpc. Its smallish dimensions belie its weight, which measures around 65-70 pounds.

Internally, the amp is incredibly well laid out (if tightly packed), with an attention to detail that one should expect--but doesn't always receive--from components in this price range.

Outside, it's purely love-hate. (Refer to the website for pictures). Either you get it or you don't. Personally, I've grown used to its appearance over time, but it's taken a while to become acclimated. If WAF factor is any sort of issue, practice up on your compliments. Then again, I may be overstating the case. While it's not Liv Tyler, it's not Janet Reno, either. Time reveals its inner beauty.

Performance-wise it's a much more straightforward issue. In my experience the 108 is the most balanced, natural-sounding amp I've ever heard. It has a way with timbre that's downright spooky--up there with the very best tube units one cares to mention. The sound is just "right"--every note is reproduced with a tonal correctness and warmth that is as close to the real thing as I've heard in an amp. Because of it's sheer naturalness, it can take a while to overcome the initial impression that it is somehow soft or rolled off. That is most emphatically not the case! Dynamics are crisp and fast, and the frequency extremes are right where they need to be--not overstated or highlighted at all, just perfectly natural and realistic.

The only potential weakness of the 108 is its power rating. It flows a nice amount of juice for 100 watts, but one could theoretically run into problems with particuarly current-hungry or inefficient speakers. Part of the amp's midrange purity, I believe, is attributable to the use of the bare minimum of bipolars in the output stage. That, of course, comes at the price of power, but in this case the tradeoff is more than worth it. Just take some care in speaker matching--as you should, anyway--and you'll be rewarded with a sound that balances the very best of solid state with a midrange that will make some question whether they even need to fuss with tubes.

Despite its novel physical appearance, the need for careful speaker matching, and the fact that the US dollar has been taking a Tyson-like beating lately, the Dartzeel is a serious contender in the super-amp category. Yes, there are amps out there that do this or that "better" than the 108, but I've yet to hear one that strikes a better balance between the various areas of performance. It's a stunning piece of engineering and a landmark amplifier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Weakness: Appearance is strictly take-it-or-leave-it. Power rating requires some attention to speaker load. Cost.
Product Strengths: Naturalness, midrange magic of the highest order, speed, dynamics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Equipment for this Review:
Amplifier: Dartzeel NHB-108
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): EMM Labs DCC2
Sources (CDP/Turntable): EMM Labs CDSD
Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-4 Jr.
Cables/Interconnects: Jena Labs Pathfinder
Music Used (Genre/Selections): Rock, blues, country, some classical
Room Size (LxWxH): 24 x 20 x 7
Room Comments/Treatments: Echo Buster, ASC
Time Period/Length of Audition: 3 months
Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Shunyata Hydra-8
Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner
hooper
Hooper, why are you so surprised as to what happend? If you visit here regularly you had to have a clue that your dealer was going to chime in at even the slighest opinion against any product he sells. This invites others with a financial interest to counter, then the bikering.

I wonder why Duke never has this problem? I also think Sean has been very well behaved......an example for all
Hey Andy I will be back in the game soon. Great post by the way...

Everything is sounding great, right?!
In a few months I'll be able to hear te Dartzeel in a system of a friend. He's very tube minded so we are both curious how it will sound. At this moment he's playing on some verity audio fidelio's. If it's realy that good, I try it also with my avalon arcus. Of course I'll report our findings.
I agree with Hooper. It would be nice if some ego's would be less impulsive.
Sean; i've kinda got frustrated with this thread. i even sent Mr. Audiogon a post complaining (for the first time ever) about 'delays pending moderator approval'. if the 'gon' wants to slow down a thread, that is their business......but then i just lose interest. i never 'stir the s**t' and resent being treated as if i do. i suppose it is easier to simply filter threads instead of individual 'goners'.......but i don't like it.

end of rant.

yes, Rives Audio did 'do the math' on speaker and listeneing position placement......which turned up 2 'best spots' for my listening position and one ideal speaker position. i am sitting within 4 inches of the more near-field of the two listening positions. the speakers are about 6 inches closer together and 4 inches forward of the original suggestion.

i don't know exactly how Richard Bird did the math, but you could ask him.

i moved the speakers all over the place and the bass performance was essentially the same......so i ended up just focusing on the soundstage. since the speakers are so far away from room boundaries wherever i put them; there were no changes in the tonal balance as i moved them around. what is almost spooky is how balanced the room sounds as you move around......the soundstage resembles how live music sounds as you would move around a nightclub.

it will be interesting to see how the VR9's will do.

i'm no speaker designer and don't pretend to be. i'm not sure about just how extensive your experience is with the VR9......but your conjecture about how many if it's design choices MIGHT affect performance seems a little too 'all-knowing' in it's tone without some extensive personal auditioning.

after spending hours speaking to Kevin Malgrem, the primary designer of the VR9 and VR11, about how choices were made in it's design......my OPINION is that your theories may not be correct.....but i admit to not being an expert......although i do have a fair amount of high performance speaker listening experience.

i did spend 10 to 12 hours listening to the VR9 at CES. my perceptions are not consistent with your theories. you are guessing about how the crossover is actually designed and exactly how parts are used. you are guessing about how low the front mounted woofers go. many speakers use a rear mounted port for deep bass support (Kharma)......and yet there is no backwave discontinuity percieved......why would a rear mounted subwoofer be any different (unless you listened and identified the cause and effect)......or had experience with that issue on other speakers.

many designers don't disclose exactly what they are doing (Wilson, Kharma)......you gotta listen to judge.

you could be absolutely right.....or absolutely wrong......but only listening will tell that.
Sean writes:
Jtinn: Jenna's cables are based on a woven pattern. While the cables may present a consistent nominal impedance when measured at one end, the design geometry consists of multitudes of impedance bumps along the entire path of the cabling.
That doesn't make much sense to me. How do you know these "impedance bumps" are there? How can you measure them?

Regards,