Review of Dartzeel NHB-108 Amplifier

Dartzeel is a relatively new entry to the high-end game. Despite being reviewed by John Marks in a recent issue of Stereophile, the company's only current product offering, the NHB-108 stereo amplifier, hasn't gotten a lot of press on these shores. Hopefully this "review" will do its part in rectifying that.
As many of you probably already know, Switzerland-based Dartzeel is the brainchild of one Herve Deletraz. Herve is a wonderful guy who's dedicated to the very best customer service. As essentially a one-man operation, I'm sure his time is limited, but he's always responded to my e-mails in an extremely courteous, timely manner.

On to the amp. I'm not one for technical details, so I'll leave them to those of you who want to visit Dartzeel's website. Basically, the 108 is a "purist" stereo amp rated at a relatively modest 100 wpc. Its smallish dimensions belie its weight, which measures around 65-70 pounds.

Internally, the amp is incredibly well laid out (if tightly packed), with an attention to detail that one should expect--but doesn't always receive--from components in this price range.

Outside, it's purely love-hate. (Refer to the website for pictures). Either you get it or you don't. Personally, I've grown used to its appearance over time, but it's taken a while to become acclimated. If WAF factor is any sort of issue, practice up on your compliments. Then again, I may be overstating the case. While it's not Liv Tyler, it's not Janet Reno, either. Time reveals its inner beauty.

Performance-wise it's a much more straightforward issue. In my experience the 108 is the most balanced, natural-sounding amp I've ever heard. It has a way with timbre that's downright spooky--up there with the very best tube units one cares to mention. The sound is just "right"--every note is reproduced with a tonal correctness and warmth that is as close to the real thing as I've heard in an amp. Because of it's sheer naturalness, it can take a while to overcome the initial impression that it is somehow soft or rolled off. That is most emphatically not the case! Dynamics are crisp and fast, and the frequency extremes are right where they need to be--not overstated or highlighted at all, just perfectly natural and realistic.

The only potential weakness of the 108 is its power rating. It flows a nice amount of juice for 100 watts, but one could theoretically run into problems with particuarly current-hungry or inefficient speakers. Part of the amp's midrange purity, I believe, is attributable to the use of the bare minimum of bipolars in the output stage. That, of course, comes at the price of power, but in this case the tradeoff is more than worth it. Just take some care in speaker matching--as you should, anyway--and you'll be rewarded with a sound that balances the very best of solid state with a midrange that will make some question whether they even need to fuss with tubes.

Despite its novel physical appearance, the need for careful speaker matching, and the fact that the US dollar has been taking a Tyson-like beating lately, the Dartzeel is a serious contender in the super-amp category. Yes, there are amps out there that do this or that "better" than the 108, but I've yet to hear one that strikes a better balance between the various areas of performance. It's a stunning piece of engineering and a landmark amplifier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Weakness: Appearance is strictly take-it-or-leave-it. Power rating requires some attention to speaker load. Cost.
Product Strengths: Naturalness, midrange magic of the highest order, speed, dynamics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Equipment for this Review:
Amplifier: Dartzeel NHB-108
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): EMM Labs DCC2
Sources (CDP/Turntable): EMM Labs CDSD
Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-4 Jr.
Cables/Interconnects: Jena Labs Pathfinder
Music Used (Genre/Selections): Rock, blues, country, some classical
Room Size (LxWxH): 24 x 20 x 7
Room Comments/Treatments: Echo Buster, ASC
Time Period/Length of Audition: 3 months
Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Shunyata Hydra-8
Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner
hooper

Showing 13 responses by sirspeedy70680e509

Springbok,you SHOULD be thrilled to death that you own such a fine speaker.IMO,the finest in the line,phony reviews(reviewers scoring said products,for mentioning,endlessly,brand names,in non-stop awe of higher priced models,review after review)not withstanding.Please!75K for a pseudo schmaltzy watt puppy.Now the CHINESE MADE vs JR IS lokking like a bargain at 4K.I remember paying 5 grand for the 4 piece Infinity RS-1.A long time ago,but the designer stuff pitched so heavily is for the "Have to have it"crowd that is priced way to high,even taking inflation into account.When do you think a responsible reviewer,wanting said product,for semi-permanent loan,will step up and declare that the stuff is WAY overpriced?Ha!Ha!I'm ready for the barrage.
Springbok,I was definitely NOT alluding to you,or the 3.2's in my post.I think the little(only in size)3.2 is one of the most "musically convincing" and enjoyable speakers to come along in some time.Also,can be placed in a variety of differing rooms.I think they are a bit pricey,but so were my Avalons when I bought them.

What I was speaking to, was,and is,the endless mentioning of anything Kharma, by a well known reviewer,who just so happens to have these pieces for what appears to me and quite a few others,in the hobby,as an almost "you constantly mention how great the line is,and you can live with your dream speaker for as long as you like"arrangement.This is SO rediculous,as to be almost laughable.Here, this snob reports from CES,where there is virtually a ton of great speaker systems.He pays lip service to a couple that he hopes to review(God forbid,even one would be under 20k),and then,as is almost getting to be TOO predictable,he goes on "ad nauseum" about how,naturally,his new (megabuck Kharma)was the best sound at the show.With the little 3.2 as a leading contender!Keep pitching,Mr V.

I have no problem touting such a fine speaker like the 3.2,as 21k is not that out of the ordinary,and it fits into so many differing environments,but I HAVE heard the MIDI-Ex model,and although it is a beautiful speaker,can't touch some competitors for significantly less.Yet the power of advertising and the desire of a few lucky owners have pushed the pricing envelope the way Vinyl records headed in the mid eighties.

Ex:MIDI-EX at 75k vs Dali Megaline at 42k,or TAD model 1 at 45k,or Nova Utopia at 37.5k,space permitting the Grande Utopia be is still in the MIDI's price range.Not to mention a speaker like the Genisis 200's at around 45k which would smoke the Midi EX,as would any other I've listed here.No wonder Von S is killing the competition.More power to him!!

I have no real vendetta,but would like to see a sense of sanity restored to both the hobby,and audio press.I'm not holding my breath.
Jtinn,I happen to "UNDERSTAND"completely.I appreciate your comments,but I have my own set of musical preferences.It happens that I own neither product,but understand their different musical presentations.One can critique virtually all products!One thing seems to be obvious,to me.The VS stuff is fairly priced,though more in line with,what seems to be the Wilson school.The Kharma stuff is more in my taste neighborhood,but are INSULTINGLY overpriced,to someone who already owns overpriced stuff,already(ME).I'm sure the lucky Kharma owners will jump to the SELFISH IMPORTER's defense,but will never convince many,that I know,that these fine products could have come in at a lower cost.Euro vs dollar or not!!I will see you at HE-2005,hope NOT to get the 5 minute demo of last year.
Twilo,in response to your amp comparison question,I think you will find your answer at--High End Audio.com
I TRULY respect those of you who have responded like gentlemen to my comments,but I firmly stand by them.I own a business,that manufactures products.My pricing is based on my costs.There is NO WAY anyone is going to convince me that the Kharma line is priced on manufacturing costs.Importer cut or not. The pricing of Wilson,and my Avalons are beginning to look cheap,in comparison.Other overseas mfgrs. as well.Suddenly,the Sonus Faber Strads don't look so pricey.Fact is,as I see it, the Kharma importer has a GREAT little set up going for himself.

Ex:Want to update to a Diamond TWEET,20 grand.Now take a look at the B&W Diamond updated product pricing.PLEASE!

Look,openmindedly,at the MIDI GRAND CERAMIQUE.Not overtly heavy as Mikelavigne's previous speaker,so shipping is not as high.Cabinetry is high density fiberboard.Very good drivers,and crossover,with a nice paint job.56k.Let me repeat 56k.Do any of you really think this is a fairly priced product.Come on Mike,I,ve seen pics of your room,and know you love Kharma,but lets get real.Even you admitted you lost bass,when you redesigned the new room.You like rock oriented music,as I believe I have read,so why go from a SUPERB speaker,like you had(exquisite REF)to a smaller internal chambered cabinet,with one more bass driver?You are still NOT going to drive your,superb,room unless you add the Kharma sub(or other subs,but you will definitely stay with Kharma,in this area,from my impressions of your product tastes).I hope you are only reviewing the Midi Ex,and will not replace your Ex Ref,with them.After all is said and done,why not add a stereo pair of Kharma subs to the Ex Ref.I realize the Midi Ex is the speaker,here,but,used the Grand Ceramique as an example,for pricing sanity.

I know my comments may seem extreme,and I'm sorry,but in the case of you mr Lavigne,a Genisis 200 would blow away any Kharma you care to rationalize,in a FAB room,as you have.

I too,had a room built for my system.I did not have the capital on hand to go extreme,so I called Avalon,and asked for the ideal size to drive my speakers.I still had to add a REL STENTOR sub.For acoustics,I had my large record collection built into mirrored sidewalls,for diffraction,with general room treatments added as time went on.I am FINALLY truly happy,but being so enamored with this hobby,I admit to getting a bit too passionate about aspects of it,that bring it down a bit.Not the hobbyists,but too many underhanded industry types.Why should so many of us be such easy prey.Oh,yeah.Because we can!!
I'm sorry if I seemed defensive at any point in any thread.Mike,I truly wish you the absolute best.You should do as you please,afterall who am I to judge anyone,as I've gone through the merry-go-round quite a bit in the past,and I've never even been in your room.My intent was more like the kind of advice I'd give my son,in order for him to save some money,on something.I only opened my big mouth because I obviously loved your component choices,and questioned alternatives to allow such fine equip. to stay with you.Best of luck,though you won't need any!!

PS: You showed real class by not commenting,as I was trying to bait you a bit(though in a friendly way).I doubt if I could have risen to that level.
To me the comparison of the Kharma(overpriced,but superb)vs the VonSchweikert stuff is like comparing the "DIGS" of a RAPPER on a show like "CRIBS",who would clearly love the dynamism of the VonS' stuff vs the Kharma's,which would appear more at home in the home of say a composer of classical music or art collector,living on Park Ave.

As for the Dartzeel,why the sudden over the top enthusiasm.Sure it's a fine product,but how different than say a Hovland Radia,at 125 watts per channel and 9500.00 US list.Parts quality must be superb,here too.

Does a review in a Mag have that much impact on the "easily manipulated audiophile" who simply MUST have the latest stuff.When,SURELY other great products exist at a more intelligent price?Even pricey,yet great competitors exist in the form of Rowland and Boulder,made in this country,so not subject to world economy.Seems to me there are always those,some on this thread,that have to have the "almost unattainable",whether rare,or overpriced,in order to have real satisfaction.I've met quite a few of this personality over the years,and there is NEVER a sense of long term satisfaction,from putting together an obviously fine system.Too many new,rare,hard to find NEW products coming to market each year.Sad,but if it makes one happy,where's the harm?
I could not disagree with these previous comments,having gone through plenty of upgrades over the years.I am FINALLY truly happy,though I do have an occassional repetitive dream about winning a lottery.That would really test me as to my contentment with my (rather pricey as well)system.All things considered,it is probably "the human element"in a materialistic society.

On a similar thought,do any of you guys take the same pride and attention to detail,in amassing a really FINE music collection?This will truly stand the test of time,regardless of component upgrades.Sometimes a new musical find can have a monumental impact on the soul,especially a rare or sought after title.I recently found a PROMO pressing of Shastokovich's symohony #5 on Mercury for less than 25 bucks.Stunning sound and dynamics.Quite literally made my weekend,and some of my pals threatened to steal it,it's that hard to find,and good.I have many friends who have been downright fanatical with their music collections.A listening session at some of their homes is nirvana on so many occassions.Though a good Merlot,or Chardonnay helps things along.Best to all of you!!
CS,sorry,but I was referring to Mike's own comments,in the past,no one elses.Also,mine is soley an opinion,and entitled to be wrong,as in my opinion, is yours, in this matter.Unless the 200 page set-up guide that came with my speakers is totally wrong(I doubt it)the room absolutely affects bass,as does an amp.Ever hear of room loading?I don't care what the actual low frequency cuts off at,and am not worried about the actual lowest frequency limit.I have heard some set ups that cut off about 45hz that have "better perceived" bass than the low bass systems that you may enjoy measuring.I'd rather just listen,and get a sense of a full range sound,in itself.What I do is listen to a very wide variety of "Classical and Popular" recordings,that I know to have "convincing" low frequencies.If I get a good sense of balance,then it is "Right".Few systems really are,regardless of the measured lowest frequencies.Try putting away your fancy test equipment and use your ears a bit more,you may be able to save some potential customers some money?

If you feel the need to measure is that important,as opposed to critical listening,usually with a group of other experienced hobbyists,then knock yourself out.But,please don't condescend as to how much listening years I've had.I don't know where you got the number "45 years" from.Did you read THE DA VINCI CODE?
Cinematic Systems,truly I don't think I have the patience,though you wil most likely rationalize this to your egotistical benefit,to get as involved as I could with you in answering your questions.It's just not worth it to me.

One thing is obvious.You seem to be the type that invariably never doubts your own perceptions,and experiences.To me you cannot be reasoned with,though ,no doubt you must feel there is a way one can impact a thought, towards you.Truthfully, I don't want to work that hard!!

As to my "buddies",these are some of the few who literally wrote the book on listening to reproduced music.One of them wrote the esteemed Mercury Living Presence column for a number of years.

I think I'll stick with their methods!!
Mike,thanks for not getting too hot headed towards my comments.I will tone down my act.I have a friend in NY,who is unmarried,and very wealthy.He goes through megabuck equipment like golfers go through putters.I hope you do not fall into this category.He also,never gets the performance from his stuff that the equipment is capable of,since he really gets off on "The Latest Stuff" and is quick to turn around his purchases.Yes,it is NONE of my business,but,when you post pics of such a fine custom room,it is human nature to analyze what may or may not be best served.

Since I do feel that the Exquisite REF is,not only a fabulous speaker,but a work of art as well,I simply cannot believe anyone dumping them for anythimg else.I suspect you like to have equipment come and go,and it is your own decisions,but you do pass yourself off as an "experienced and capable hobbyist/reviewer"so you become subject to scrutiny.To me your decision to go towards the Von S seems to try to move closer to your Rock Music tastes,and I understand that.I am surprised you didn't want to try adding the subs.

When you posted a review of your "WONDERFUL" room process on Positive Feedback,both I and my friends felt you could never live with the Kharma's,based upon the comments made about you losing bass.We also were surprised,since you seemed to love the Ex Ref,that you didn't build a slightly smaller room to allow those speakers to pressurize it better.

When all is said and done,since I too went through my own set of decisions when driving my own custom room,it is only your business what you do.I appologize,in advance if I seem to question your process and decisions.However if you put it out there,this is what good critical audio discourse can be about.Anyway I wish you the BEST and hope you,and all other "Thinking" hobbyists enjoy your music!!
John and Hooper,it is a pleasure to read such interesting and thought provoking posts from audio-buffs that are obviously aware of the "GOOD SOUND DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THE LATEST COLOR PICTURE IN A MAGAZINE" attitude.I'm sure your set-ups are world class,because you,both,seem to "Get IT",which is,that you seem to be looking for a quality sound,that you "like",as opposed to the type of sound being "Pitched"/"Shilled"by importers and dealers,who are really bent on making as much income as possible.I'm amazed at how much really pricey stuff just flat out disappoints in the "REALISM vs IMPRESSIVE" category.It takes an experienced hobbyist,with the kind of ears you two must have to "Wait out" and purchase equipment that is "Right" for you.

When you have such an intelligent approach to this "Carefully marketed" hobby,you get great sound,and save money,in the long run,by buying stuff that stands up long down the road!!

I love tons of todays products,but have heard mega-tons of set-ups(from experienced friends)that easily stay on par with today's best."KNOWLEDGE" is a wonderful thing.Sadly I do remember hearing and loving the Dartzeel amp at HE 2002,where I was offered the amp for about 7 or 8 grand.Inflation and the currency fluctuations of today stink,but the amp remains fabs!!

As an afterthought,I wonder how the Dartzeel would stack up against the Rowland 8 and 9 series amps(with the updated switch mode power supply,as opposed to the battery supplies of that era).Anyone who went for the second chasis on those amps could have the newer power supply done.This was,and is,a great amp(ran cool too).Also sweet and detailed.
Cinematic systems,let's just say that my "Buddies" really don't "guess" at anything.They are skilled and experienced hobbyists that have been at this longer than you,or myself,most likely.I believe that they would find your condescending comments humorous,as we are pretty adamant about how sensitive the "average" ear becomes,once you have been at this hobby awhile.

Since we attend many live events,the signature sound of what real music should sound like is obvious.It really is not hard to learn how(assuming you have enough experience,which your customers may not have,if they must be so reliant on your measurements)to listen to and set up a fine "FULL RANGE" system after you have been at it as long as I have.I do make it my business to get out there,and hear different audio systems as well.This is a helpful guage to me.

I don't doubt the importance of measured results,but know that great results can be had with a wide variety of "known" program material,and this is NOT "GUESSING".If you cannot set-up to a high degree with your own ears you really should consider a hearing test.I'm not trying to be rude here,but your comments,to me,clearly seem to be an attempt to bait me.Hey,we're just having a good debate.No animosity intended.

I do believe that when one has the intimate knowledge of living in a home,for a while,they can navigate it in total darkness.When you "know something" you just "know it"!!Experience is a powerful ally!!