REVEL performa3 f208 or TEKTON Moab

I have about 5 grand to spend on loudspeakers.  Of these 2, Tekton Moab and Revel performa3 f208, which one would you goners buy? Or any recommendations? I have an old Krell FPB 400CX, Ayre K5xe mp, Wadia 321 Dac, VPI Classic turntable. 
jeffvegas

Showing 2 responses by rikkitik

Since you mentioned crossover upgrades, I'll throw in my 2 cents.
 I have owned 2 pair of F208's, the first pair were new, but were returned after auditioning. They did some things well, but I didn't feel they had the right price/performance ratio.
 They were definitely not "tube friendly". I measured the same two impedance dips (3 ohm) that Stereophile did.
 I later bought a second, "previously owned" pair (much cheaper) to explore them further.
 Despite what Revel might claim, they use "off the shelf" SB Acoustics drivers. I think I came up with about $315 retail if you bought them yourself. Markup is expected, and they are nice drivers in other implementations.
 What really hurts their performance, is the crossover. While well designed, the drivers integrate well, with decent imaging. The actual crossovers don't have more than $5 worth of parts in them.
 This, to my ear, left a gray, washed out, lifeless sound. I heard this before taking them apart, so I wasn't "pre-prejudiced" by what might be inside. I have heard (and used) those same drivers elsewhere,  so I know they can sound much better.
 When I resold the second set, the buyer asked to hear the speakers I was keeping (Tyler H3's with modified crossovers).....I almost thought I was going to lose the sale. There was a huge, audible difference, throughout the range. And that was before I replaced the H3's crossovers completely, with a better design.
 Anyway, as they say, ymmv. But it still irks me that Revel lists the 208's as "8 ohms nominal", when the impedance rarely rises above 6 ohms 20-20k. The the midrange  and tweeter are both 4 ohm units, with 2, 8 ohm woofers in parallel.
 As stated earlier, just my 2 cents, but there are quite a few superior cost/performance/sound speakers for the price.
 Not trying to dissuade, just share what I learned. The 208's do look nice, and don't sound bad, they could sound so much better with just a few $ in parts.
 I would upgrade the quality of components. It's tricky business though. The esr/dcr values of the upgraded components can throw the "balance" out of whack, so that needs to be accounted for.
 The 208 uses small guage, high dcr coils, and iirc, at least one electrolytic in the signal path. 
 The transparency of the 208, imho, would greatly benefit from better quality components.