Restored my dads R2R but no tape loop on integrated

My dad found his old Teac A-3300SX-2T in storage and I’m having it restored currently. I wanted to do some recording from my TT and eventually from a CD transport as well if I end up adding one. My integrated is a Cambridge Audio CXA81 with no tape loop (only a pre-out option).

Tape selector?

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/sb-500.shtml
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/ds-5.shtml

I found a few models like the Sony SB500 or Akai DS-5. My thought was to connect the Teac input/output to ‘Tape 1’, phono stage output to ‘Tape 2’ and output from ‘Source’ to a line input on my integrated. Would this introduce any type of feedback loop while recording?

This would save me from moving cables around but it also means that my TT signal is always passing through the switch even when listening to it directly. I’ve read that these older switches are prone to oxidization and require some cleaning usually as well as constant exercising of the switches.

I wouldn’t want to potentially degrade the sound quality of my primary listening source to allow recording to a R2R

Phonostage direct to R2R?

The other option would be connecting my phonostage output directly to the Teac whenever I want to record. But this would involve the hassle of swapping phonostage output from integrated to r2r and back. Also I would only be able to monitor the source using the headphone out on the Teac and the built in output selector switch.

Rethink CXA81?

Is there another option available outside of completely rethinking my choice of integrated amplifier? The R2R holds more sentimental value than anything so I feel like it would be silly to start swapping major components for an unexpected add-on.
jvonoldershausen
Post removed 
If it is a two track make sure that all your tapes are stored tails out. 
i.e. rewind to the beginning before each use.  NEVER store a tape in  fast wind mode.

Good luck to you.As long as you are careful you can live without a tape loop.
But one sure makes it easier.  I would really like to move up from my two preamps to one good one.
@elliottbnewcombjr So much good info! I got lucky with the model being what it is, he also apparently had a Revox that saw more use so the tape heads on this one have very light wear. Appreciate the offer on tape, I discussed with the technician and will be using SM911 @ 7.5ips so the unit is being calibrated for +6 bias tape and 1.5mil thick. The 15ips is nice to have but seems more suited for mastering.

I’m still wrapping my head around the workflow for adjusting levels before a recording but that is definitely helpful. Would it make sense to adjust levels for L & R separately or together?

My turntable is entry level (Project debut carbon evo) and I notice a channel imbalance often, mainly when playing 180g records. The vocals are rarely centered, always shifted to the right. It's not a system wide issue because everything sounds centered on digital. There’s an underlying problem, either VTA or antiskate or other - I’ve tried a lot. Its my first table and I know that i’ll eventually upgrade to a better one so i’ve given up tinkering with it. Recording to tape would allow me to even that out a bit i guess?

@fuzztone Yea i’m happy with that setup for the time being! You’re saying I’d have to replug (unplug?) even using the dual outputs on the phono pre (RCAs to R2R & XLRs to integrated)? Since i’m primarily using the TT for playback i’ll prob keep the phono pre's RCAs unplugged from R2R except when recording anyways.
Post removed