Replacing/Upgrading AC Outlets

I have 3 dedicated circuits...one for each mono amp and one for the low power gear(cd, pre etc.)

Right now I have "hospital grade" outlets.

I have heard of "audio grade" outlets from FIM, PS Audio and Acme.

Does anyone have feedback as to the performance differences in these different manufacturers/models?

Thanks
barrelchief
Warrenh,all I can say is that not trying a cryo treated Hubbell 8300 is only YOUR loss. Why not listen to one and then see if you still don't understand? I dare you!
All the wall outlet mfg's that you mention should be better than standard as should be the hospital grade outlets you now have.

One recommendation would be to seperate your preamp from the digital source. Digital has a way of injecting much AC noise back into the line and hence it is transfered to the pre.

If your amp are not drawing large amounts of current, perhaps you could try sharing the amps on one dedicated line and put your preamp on the other dedicated line. Even if they do draw large amounts of current, it would be an interesting experiment. You should only lose the macro-dynamics or dynamic headroom with such a move.

It would be interesting to know the results. I'm guessing this change should provide you better results than upgrading from a hospital grade outlet to another.

-IMO
Warren,you not right-when you install separate line plus separate ground-you'll see a difference in between receptacles and even between wire quality;I preffer PS audio power port-great price,great construction-separate ground bar and no iron parts inside...
I second the PS Audio Power Ports. I feel they are better, construction wise, than the Pass & Seymour hospital grades they replaced. Do they sound better---maybe who knows---- but they are better built and I figured for the money I have in my system...... why not. I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit with 10 gauge romex. I have not heard the cryo'ed outlets so I can not comment on them. You might want to do a search on this subject as there are a lot of varied opinions.

Chuck
Barrelchief, I think for the most part the outlets that are called “Audiophile outlets” have been altered in one fashion or another to be an improvement over the hospital grade. Some outlets are even produced with slightly tighter tolerances to make the contact points tighter.

In some instances they are gold plated or silver plated. I believe the plating process, same as the various materials used in production such as copper, brass, mixtures etc gives different variations to the end product, (the sound).

When the outlets are cryogenically treated in the correct fashion (as many but not all of them are) it usually leads to additional enhancement in the ears of the beholder, that can actually be heard with a revealing system and some experience. Many but certainly not all of the Audio level outlets are given different names but they boil down to a variety of Hubbell’s, or other major brands. For example the Acme Silver plated cryo’d outlet is a Pass & Seymour (older fashion with only screws to wrap the wire around) that has been carefully disassembled silver plated put back together and then cryo’d. I'm currently am doing a demo with the Acme at the present time. It seems very pleasant; the question is what sound does the listener prefer?