Replacing 6550s with KT 88s

I am currently using Winged C 6550s in my Conrad Johnson LP 70S power amp and am very happy with the performance etc. Some tube sites recommend an upgrade to Genalex Gold Lion KT 88s in place of 6550s. Would love to hear from CJ or ARC owners or others who have experience of this.
Many thanks
Pradeep
128x128sunnyboy1956

Showing 7 responses by sunnyboy1956

Rodmann99999
Many thanks for your response.The 6550s are due for replacement. Nearly 3+ years. Not sure how many hrs but I guess it would be close to 3000 hrs. I prefer a cleaner sound to a warm, mushy "tubey" sound.
Cheers
Pradeep
Rodman9999
I am curious about what changes you found using the NOS GE 6550s as compared to the Winged C 6550s. It may be possible to get a quad NOS from Singapore.Incidentally what power amp are you using?
Many thanks
Pradeep
Hi Joe
Many thanks. It's advice and insights like yours that makes Agon such a
great resource and community. For a tube novice like me this is invaluable.
Enjoyed reading your blog and will post my impressions post acquisition of
a new set of pre and power amp tubes which should arrive ,hopefully within
the next 10 days.
Cheers
Pradeep
Rodman
Many thanks. You are absolutely correct.I intend to do this slowly and in phases to try and guage the effect of each tube. Am interested in your comments/experience of the NOS 6550s vis a vis the Winged C current production
Cheers
Pradeep
Rodman
Thanks that seems a sensible way to go as the price differential between NOS and current production for phase splitter and driver tubes, at least in Singapore , is much lower than the 6550 power tubes.
Will post my impressions post makeover.
Cheers
Pradeep
Rodman
Check out the Well Audio Labs (Singapore)site. I reckon the prices are competitive vis a vis some other online sites.
Bifwynne
Many thanks for the tip. Will contact CJ and hopefully get a response before I set out on my travels .
Happy listening
Pradeep
I procured a set of Genalex KT 88s from Well Audio Labs, Singapore,last week and spent the better part of the weekend comparing the 3000 hr+ Winged C 6550s with the new KT88s.What immediately struck me was that despite some 3000 + hrs there was little to choose between the 6550s and the KT 88s. There was a smidgen more smoothness and air in the upper frequencies. After extensive listening comparisons done with NJ-Come Away With Me lp, the KT 88s are superior in the context of my system and my listening preferences.
Many thanks for all your input/advise.
Happy listening
Pradeep