Replacement for Maggie's?

So I have been thrilled with my magnepan 1.6's to the point that I have upgraded every component to the point that even the power conditioner costs more than the speakers. My question as the headline suggests is that where do I go from here for speakers? I love the Maggie sound for its wonderful depth, life like size, and soundstage. Dislike its lack of bass. The rest of my gear consists of Ayre C5xeMP, Ayre K5xe soon to be MP, Pass Labs X250, APC S15, Grover Huffman XLR's, Signal Cable bi wired speaker cables. Thanks
harri009

Showing 8 responses by harri009

Things would be much easier if I had a dedicated room. It's definitely on the list for our next home. I guess I should add, has anyone found a speaker that gives you the great aspects of Maggie's without the negatives. I have listened to the 3.7's before and really enjoyed them, but until I get a dedicated room I think the width and height of the 1.6's is about maxed out with the wife.
Brownsfan is on the right path. While I love what the 1.6's do I am craving the things that the appropriately suggested 3.7's would give, but WAF is standing in the way. The 1.6's are about as large as I can go. I guess I am looking for suggestions that have the good qualities of a planer and the full range of dynamic cones. Magico's are probably a little out of my range, while I am willing to wait around for a great deal about $5000 used price would be my max. Thanks everyone for the suggestions already, I know I am asking for a suggestion that may not exist at the price range.
Thanks for the ideas guys, it sounds like I really need to take a road trip to listen to some different gear. I have thought about adding subs but felt it smeard the sound a little. Not sure if that's the right term, but it didn't sound as good in the mids with a sub. If I kept the 1.6's I have also thought about adding 2 rythmik subs but once again worry that it will mess with the already pretty good sound.
Well I may potentially have a pair of 3.6's lined up. It's still on the fence from the sellers side until he gets a few things ironed out but I am possibly picking them up next week. As my wife stated "your lucky I love you" I told her that if she absolutely despises them I will resell but her comment was "let's face it once I let them in the house your never selling them, exept to upgrade lol" YEAH FOR LOVING WIVES. It seems to definitely be the best alternative for an upgrade if I enjoy the Maggie sound already. Thank you everyone for the thorough and well thought out responses. There is a lot of information here for anyone in a similar spot.
I must say I have never listened to a pair of Gunn's speaker mods but I could never bring myself to pay him as much as he want. I would much rather spend the extra money and buy a new pair of 3.7's than to have his mod. There is also the issue with the amount of time everyone reviewing the Gunn's have had between the origionals and the gunned model. I would be very interested in hearing some impressions of someone that did a direct comparison with a unmodded and modded pair. After hearing the .7's I would have to agree with Josh.
Pryso, they are white with dark cherry. She did comment that the black didn't draw as much attention to itself so she liked the all black better. lol
A agree that the black with cherry is the best looking Maggie. But she has only seen pictures of the 3.6's. I am bringing them home now. Got them for $1400!!!
I am very happy with them so far. The wife finds the appearance acceptable :) I actually like the Dark Cherry on white pretty well in person. The bass on the 3.6 is a night and day difference from the 1.6's. The 3.6 are overall a better speaker. With the added bass I can officially sell my subwoofer. With the money from the sub and my 1.6's it ended up only costing me about $150 which was for the fuel to pick them up. :)