Replacement Driver Help

Hello All,

Have an elderly pair of Mirage M-1s that are definitely showing their age. Recently, one of the 5" mid-range drivers has been giving off a very audible scratchy quality during some portions of a variety of music. I removed the driver this morning and discovered that the surround is also disintegrating. I expect this is not the cause of the failure and would like to replace the diver entirely. I am aware of several sites that retail replacement drivers, but am wondering what parameter in addition to proper size should I be looking for. The speakers are rated at 6 Ohms nom and 4 Ohms min. How much should I worry about this? IOWs, will an 8 Ohm replacement driver do the trick?

Thanks,

IAN
isgau8
Awesome, thanks for all that info.  Mine are labeled as 4DR51690. I will give the surround repair a try first. Was not aware that even minor degradation could impact the sound so dramatically. That said, it is only during certain song sequences that I can hear it.  Thanks for the help.
Your very welcome. I edited my post, apparently while you were typing. I meant to include this, regarding Speaker Exchange's surround repair service: https://reconingspeakers.com/speaker-repair/repair-services/
Excellent. Speaker Exchange will likely come in handy in the future as, like me, these old guys are reflecting the years. Like the speakers a great deal and wish to keep them going for as long as I can.
If you don't get it figured out and have a good working driver, I would be willing to spec the driver and help find a replacement for you.