Replace my Marantz AV7702mkII?

Greetings Audiogoners,

I am looking to upgrade my HT Pre/Pro. I have been around in circles about which direction to go, dedicated 2 channel or not. However, since I live in a condo I don’t have the luxury of multiple dedicated listening rooms, I need to compromise.

Almost all of my listening is digital, I do not need an included DAC, I have an external one. I use an Apple TV 4K, so having 4K video output is important. My listening source is a Lumin U1 to Denafrips Terminator, through a Marantz AV7702mkII, amp is a McIntosh MC205, speakers are Sonus Faber Amati.

I would like some input on which pre/pro has better 2 channel audio. What I am considering is a new Anthem AVM 70, a new Lexicon MC-10, or a used Krell Foundation 4K. Do any of these meet my requirements? Should I look at something else? Will they be an improvement in 2 channel audio over my existing Marantz?

Thank you for your opinions.

Ag insider logo xs@2xordinaryjoe

Showing 1 response by auxinput

You could do soix's recommendation.  But if you are looking for a HT pre/pro, probably the best one I can think of that meets your needs is the Bryston SP3.  It has a fully discrete and fully balanced input stage for your 2-channel stereo analog inputs.  It also has its fully discrete fully balanced analog output stages.  It does convert all analog to single-ended internally for volume control.  It's not the best DAC/DSP (I think the DSP/DAC board is compromised), but it's an excellent analog preamp.  You can get one used and then have Bryston upgrade the HDMI board for HDMI 2.0 4K support.  The Bryston will not have all the bells & whistles of the Marantz such as Bluetooth, HELOS audio, etc. etc.  It's a bare-bones high end pre/pro.

The Krell Foundation is going to have much better high frequency resolution response and excitement.  But it is still an op-amp based processor.  The Marantz 7702 is very nice because of large power supply and discrete analog output stages.  Sound is very full with a lot of impact, but the high frequencies are slightly rolled off when compared to Bryston/Krell.