Replace a 0.5 mV Grado Reference Sonata 1 for a Dynavector-DV20X2-H 2.8 mV ???

I'm using an Oracle Delphi mkII, with a Rega RB-300 arm (modified), wired with Discovery's lockable interconnects, into a 2 box Audion pre-amp (built in phono stage) using 4 Siemens E88CC 6922 tubes.

Lets start with the Grado hum (which I may add IMHO the support at Grado was virtually "Zero").                          

The hum is faint, but still audible, especially considering that with tax & installation the better part of a grand Canadian went out the window; so lets just say the hum is totally unacceptable. Which is too bad, because outside of the faint hum & gutless gain (more on that to come), it's a flippin nice sounding cartridge.

The other beef is that my set-up guy selected the wrong Grado to pair with my Audion pre-amp. Apparently the Reference Sonata 1 came with either a 4.8 mV gain, or a 0.5 mV gain. His reasoning was that the 0.5 would be quieter, and it is, but the problem is I have to turn up the volume to 3 o'clock to get the gain I want.

Qu #1: Does anyone out there know the specific gain difference in % between a 0.5 moving iron Grado & a 2.8 MC.

Qu #2: Anyone ever experience "HUM" with a Dynavector-DV20X2-H 2.8 mV on a Rega Tonearm?

Qu #3: Does anyone out there have experience using Dynavector-DV20X2-H 2.8 mV with a tube pre-amp? What are your thoughts?

thehorn

Showing 1 response by invictus005