REL Subwoofer Cable Upgrade?

I've read in various forums that upgrading the cable that runs from amp to REL subwoofer can make a substantial sonic difference. These discussion all reference cables in the $700 to $800 range.

I have to believe that one can achieve a substantial portion of this improvement for $100 or $200? Do any of you have experience with this and some recommendations?

Thank you.
Art
artmaltman
"Upgrading the stock cable between amp and a REL sub is a TOTAL waste of money."

Not true, at least for me. I had a custom high grade cable constructed by Savant Audio for my Rega Vulcan (REL based) and it did make a difference. Bass is more forceful and powerful. The difference is not night and day, but it is there.
No offense, but put simply...those that think it is a waste of money without trying themselves, don't actually know, since they don't have one to compare with.

I am wondering if shortening the 35ft stock cables would also help. Most people buying after market cables are buying just enough, not 35 feet for a rear installation. Cutting the stock cable makes it hard to sell later. Might just as well buy a better one.
Because the input impedance is so high (~100K ohms) the cable is really just responsible for a voltage reference. That along with the fact that it is only used down deep in the bass (below 80hz) will help to minimize the sonic contribution of the cable used.

Still, that doesn't mean that there won't be any sonic changes with different cables. I would recommend trying something solid core as an upgrade to the stock stranded wire supplied from REL. It doesn't need to be a large gauge given that there is no real current involved. Silver plated copper solid conductors might be interesting as I have found them to result in tighter bass.
I own a Rel B3 and tried many cables and I found the Synergistic Tesla Rel Spec 2 to be the best. The cable company can send you a demo. TAS reviewed the previous model Rel Spec Phase II X2 and said it is a must have and I agree.