Rega TT Owners - P3-P5-P7

My son is looking for a low-profile, easy to use turntable with 33.3 & 45 rpm speeds (via a switch & not belt movement). He has about 50 LPs right now in his collection.

He really likes the Rega turntables and he's thinking of getting the Rega RP3.

What sonic improvements would be gained from going to a P5 (or new RP6 replacement) or even a P7 instead of an RP3?
agiaccio
P5 > modded RP3

The RB700 arm is a significantly better arm than the RB301. Go for the P5, with the PSU if you have the budget.
I looked at both the P5 and the P7; chose the P7 and have never been happier.
You didn't give a target price point and these tables span quite a range, but online retailers are ditching their P5's now in preparation for the RP6. I picked mine up with a TTPSU for $1100 (a mint condition demo unit)! The P5 is also fully compatible with the Groovetracer upgrades (take a look at my system). Adding in the upgrades still doesn't come close to the price of a P7, but if you can afford that table some notable contenders should be considered. Take a look at the Stereophile P7 review for suggestions at this price point.
Agree with most here that the P5 is the best deal. I would take it over the new P3 because of the better arm.