Rega P25, would it sound better than my CDP?

I am currently using a Roksan Kandy MKIII Cd Player. If I got a Rega P25 with a Benz cart, would this set-up give me superior quality over digital in my system?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Is the P25 on the same level as my Roksan Kandy CDP? Or better?
agent193

Showing 7 responses by agent193

Theo, do you find that although Vinyl is more "natural" sounding, is your CDP a little more detailed? I assume a good CDP will always be more detailed, wider soundstage due to the higher resolution? Or am I just talking out of my ars? What would you say are the advantages of your digital front end over your analog, if any?

Thanks for your input
Okay, let me ask you this way: In your opinions what are the sound differences between your vinyl versus digital set ups?

What does DIGITAL offer in your system that vinyl doesn't?

What does VINYL offer in your system that digital doesn't?

They both must have their strengths and weaknesses, objectively speaking what are they?
Well, I did it, I got everything yesturday. Here are my thoughts:

DIGITAL:- I'm getting a MUCH wider soundstage although thin. I can here a little more detail, instruments are a little more pronounced. Although that can be due to the wider soundstage.

ANALOG:- Vocals sound way better and more natural with a fuller body. I'm getting an incredible warmth in the sound that is surrounding me. My CDP may have a wider soundstage but it doesn't surround me where as the Vinyl does. Also the vinyl seems to have a tiny bit more imediacy.

Basically, the only thing Digital has over Vinyl is a wider soundstgae and more resolution to detail. Highhats are more pronounced as well as little tiny nuances that I just dont hear with Vinyl.

Is this about normal, should CD have more detail and wider but thin soundstage. Are you guys finding this as well. Please speak up, I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW- To do the comparisons I used the same albums that I had both on vinyl and CD:

Micheal Jackson "BAD"
Sade
Heart "Magic Man"
Led Zeppelin II

The equipment is:
Rega P25 w/RB600
Benz ACE Medium
Trichord Dino and Dino PSU

Please let me know your thoughts on the detail issue
Herman, I am new to all this but over the last 24 hours I have become very well read on the subject because of people like you putting forth your knowledge and advice.

Discussion archives are fantastic and waaaaaaaaaaay important :)

Plinko, after reading all the archives here and at Audioasylum it has been said a few times that the Rega method is different than the Vinyl Engine one, and thus could be off by a small portion. I'm going to a totally different method and trying the Turntablebasics method and I will see what I like best between that or the Rega protractor.

I just got a Nina Simone LP that I'm going to spin. I'll see you guys later and thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun.

One more thing from anybody who knows. The Michell Tecnodec, would this be a lateral move for me or would there be improvemnt over the P25 (same unmodded arm -RB600)?

Not even a week and I already have the upgrade bug, huh!
Thanks for the input Seandtaylor99.

Psychicanimal, I'm not sure what you mean. Care to explain a little further?
I'm using older Exposure gear for pre and Power. The phonostage will likely be the Trichord Dino. I am using PMC LB1 Speakers.

Will this vinyl set-up be sufficient enough to make most vinyl lovers prefer the sound to CD (with my current CDP).

I know there are a lot of people here who prefer the sound of vinyl.

What differences can I axpect to hear between the two formats. I assume CD will still be clearer and maybe a little more detailed. Vinyl maybe a little more organic where a guitar sounds more like a guitar, etc. Am I wrong, wha else?

Thanks BTW for all your time,
Ang
Stylinlp, great post, very informative. I see now, what I hear as more detail is also annoying me on CD. Digital has a wider soundstage but also thin and dull. The Vinyl surrounds me more and takes me in even though the soundstage may be a little "less wide" it is deeper.

Herman, This tables was my brothers and he had it for just over a year. I believe the cart is broken-in. I have it sitting on a 2mm spacer. After talking with Rega and Benz they both told me to go with a 2mm spacer. A VTA adjuster is on its way but where I have it now I believe is good enough for a good assement. As far as the alignment I checked it myself and it "seems" spot on with the Rega protractor. Another protractor is on its way. Again where the alignemt is right now I believe is close enough to get a good assesment. You are correct about the LZ II Lp. The CD sounds wayyyyy better than the LP and this is due to Digital remastering of the CD (they did a good job). I did not realize it was a "hot print" and it is hard to get over.

As far as the other Lp's I've tried, in the begining I was being too analytical. I was stuck on the wider soundstage and more resolution to detail on CD but I now realize all though there may be a high hat that is more pronounced it is not however as accurate as on Vinyl. Although the sound seems to have a wider presentation it is thin, dull and "tin can" like sounding when compared to vinyl.

The best way I can describe it is Digital annoyingly forces the frequencies on you where as Vinyl lets you hear the music.