Rega P10 v Complete rebuild Garrard 401!

I currently have a Rega P3 that I’m generally happy with, but looking to upgrade and I’m in two minds.  Go old school with Garrard 401 or keep with new tech and get a P10.  Both are well regarded and there are plenty of individual reviews.  However I’ve not been able to find a comparative analysis (not really expecting to) so i thought i would ask here.  It would be paired with a Line Magnetic 508ia tub amp and Harbeth HL5 plus speakers.  
I listen to a wide range of music, from classic jazz, funk, soul and classic rock but admittedly i spend the majority of my vinyl time listening to thinks like Bowie, the Smiths, New Order, A Certain Ratio, Chameleons or similar.  
Any counsel?   
gunners01

Showing 15 responses by uberwaltz

Mglik.
Would love to see pictures of your Woodsong 301.

Maybe when you get time, you could take some and add a virtual system to your profile?
I have been in communication with the seller of that 301 on USAM and they are most definitely open to offers to sell quickly in today's climate.

If I don't stop looking it might end up next to my 401, so please buy it Gunner!
😉😉😉
That all depends on how much you plan to spend on a tone arm of course. And do not forget price was in CAD so a lot less in USD.
And very likely open to a decent discount.

Just my thoughts, best on whatever you decide.
Mglik.
I thought that open plinth 301 was very fair for the money.
Indeed if I had the spare cash it might be sitting next to my 401.....

Which is why I posted the link to begin with, the open plinth not to everyone taste but it also had capability for two arms. A nice mono and stereo setup would be possible.
Mdalton.

I have a koetsu black goldline spinning on my 401.
Go for it, you will not regret it.
Mijo
One assumes from all of your extreme and dismissive views on idler drives in general that you have owned and used them yourself in your system and therefore speak from deep experience, yes?

If not then please ease up as it then remains your opinion only!
Just this morning on USAM
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649580155-garrard-301-oil-bearing-turntable-and-plinth/
3200 cad IS a steal at current exchange rates, the plinth looks very nice although might not be as solid and massive as some but extremely well made.
I really like the fact it has two arm pods, nice flexibility there.
Sure you then need find a good arm, but all part of the fun!
Gunner
As far as listening to a 301/401 I decided to just buy one and if for any reason I did not like I was fairly sure I could resell very easily for little or no loss at all.
Yes its a bit risky especially in todays economic climate but the chance of ever hearing one on a demo or an in home demo are slim to non existent.
Gunner
I also run a pair of subs with my 401 and despite what some here might try to have members believe is gospel, I cannot see/feel/hear any rumble evident at the subs.
Period.
As far as carts go I have run everything from a cheap Nagaoka mp150 up to a Koetsu Black Goldline and varying levels in-between.
My opinion?
The better the cart, the better this table and arm responds.
I have an Ortofon Black Cadenza to try once I get the additional counter weight for the Micro Seiki.

Btw I have not regretted moving to the idler drive from traditional belt drive one jot.
The drive and energy it imparts to my music is thoroughly addictive!
Was about to say just what Noromance did.
Avoid Skyfi as their prices are well , SkyHighFi!

A good rebuilt 401 should cost you no more than 3k to 4k.
Mine came fully rebuilt with new aftermarket bearing and idler in a massive birch and curly maple plinth.
Cw with a Micro Seiki ma505ls tonearm with cryo wiring.
Basically ready to rock, just add cartridge.
All for $2800.

See my system for pictures.