Rega Elicit R 2019 vs Rega Elicit MK 1 1992

Hi Everybody,

I had my beloved Rega Elicit MK 1 1992 for 27 years now. Unfortunately, due to an electrical incident the device was literally destroyed beyond repair.

For 27 years I was in love with its detailed yet mellow sound.
I consider buying the last generation Rega Elicit R but it looks as if Rega went on a cheaper design. Where as the Rega Elicit MK 1 was comprised of totally separate amps with 2 separate power supplies, in the Rega Elicit R, the 2 channels share the same power supply.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FcQS_fQ8_vH3D48wrNYK56HuDTdrvG34/view  

Where I live I cannot try the Rega  Elicit R.

Did Rega change the design to save money or maybe they came up with an ingenious solution to settle for just one power supply ?

Did any of you managed to compare the 2 amps ?  

triskadecaphobic
@ triskadecaphobic - I own a Rega Elicit-R, as well as a Rega Saturn-R CD Player/DAC/Transport. I've also owned a couple of lesser expensive Rega components in the past. I have not owned the original Rega Elicit Integrated Amp, so I cannot offer a direct comparison. However, I can tell you that the Rega Elicit-R is a fantastic integrated amplifier.

Previous to the Rega Elicit-R, I was using separates. Over the years prior to that, I used a long list of integrated amps from Bryston, Anthem, Arcam, Plinius, Musical Fidelity, Peachtree and more. I've also used tube integrated amps and SET tube amplifiers. I've happily settled-in with the Rega Elicit-R for the past 3 years and I've had no desire to change amplification.

I purchased a 1 year old used Elicit-R for a bit over 50% of MSRP and I've found it to be a fantastic bargain at that price. 

I'm sorry to hear of the demise of your Mk 1 unit. Good luck in your search for a replacement.

If you're the type of person that buys and amp and then runs it forever you should have a look at the newly released Rega Aethos - not sure on the layout inside but early reports seem to be positive.

The Aethos looks really well built as compared to the lower Rega amps definitely worth looking into and it should have ample power for most speakers.

reubent,
That's impressive.

Audiojedi,
Note that even the higher end Aethos has a combined P/S for both channels.
It seems to be careful musical consideration rather that a cost cutting measure.
A matter of where it's better to put the money. After all...the musical result matters. Not how cool the amp looks inside...
I'll consider the Aethos too...

Hi Triska, 
where is the problem on yuor Rega Elicit mk1?
Rega Elex/Elicit mk1 are very robust amplifiers.
I bought a broken race Elicit mk1 and now (after some work) it sounds great!
Take a look at the thread "Help on Rega Elicit MKI" on Diyaudio website.
I love Elicit mk1 despite the age, it would be a real shame to throw it away.
I had the following Rega amplifiers: Elex mk1, Mira mk1, Brio-R, Elex-R, Elicit mk1.
The Mira and R series sound is more modern and refined, but I prefer the superb body and separation of the Elicit mk1 sound and his musicality.