Recos for entry level Bookshelf speaker $400-750 for 21yo nieces first system?

Looking for recommendations for a bookshelf speaker for a system I am buying my 21 yr old niece in DC. Will be used for all kinds of music, much from IPhone via Bluetooth or from Mac. Speaker should work on a shelf or tv stand so port forward or be closed. Amp will be NAD D3020 or similar small form of 30-40 w RMS.  Not necessarily audiophile but good musical sound. Have read about PBS, Elac, others. I live in HI so can't hear any of these. I appreciate any and all responses.

joekapahulu

Showing 1 response by akg_ca

REGA R1 / RS1. A New Budget Reference
http://stereotimes.com/speak121305.shtml

"... The Rega R1 becomes my new budget reference speaker. In addition of its ability to get the fundamentals of music right, it adds clarity and resolution, and an ability to lay out a vivid and coherent 3-dimensional stereo image. In small room applications, what more could you want?..."

Read the whole review.

They are designed to be placed against a back wall ( they even have their own bespoke wall brackets) .... I had them in my office driven by NAD electronics and I currently still use them as surrounds in my HT mancave.

Highly recommended ......they are relatively easy to find new old stock or used (current RX1 model is past your budget) . Used R1 or RS1 kit comes up frequently including on AGON or canuckaudiomart.com or hifishark.com.

Great sensitivity ~ 90db efficiency...easy to drive with smaller amp.

Height...320mm
Depth ...236 mm
Width....150mm
Weight ... 3.5 kg