Record-playing Rituals?

I'm curious what everybody's riuals are when listening to albums. How often do you clean the records? Every Time? How often do you clean and lubricate the stylus? Every time?

David
deshapiro

Showing 1 response by doug28450

I have tried a number of products and rituals over the years. I estimate that 90% of my listening time is vinyl, so I attempt to get the best possible sound that I can from the vinyl rig.

My current procedure is to use Disc Doctor (DD) in combination with VPI fluid and and Last Preservative. Any record that gets brought into the house (new or used) gets the same treatment. I put it on a VPI 16.5 and wash with the DD cleaner using the DD brushes. I vacuum with tube no. 0, then do the distilled water scrub with VPI brush no. 1 and vacuum with tube no. 1. I then apply VPI fluid and scrub with VPI brush no. 2 and vacuum with tube no. 2. After that I apply Last Record Preservative and vacuun with tube no. 3. I remove the record, change the mat and repeat for side 2.

At each step, I scrub for 6 revolutions and vacuum for 3 revolutions. My procedure only takes a few minutes per side. I usually get records on a buying binge, so I end up performing a cleaning marathon, doing all of the side one's then all of the side two's. Once the records are cleaned in this fashion I just use an old Decca brush to clean away the dust prior to playing.

I have not tried the Record Research products yet, but like others I have tried many products and many "homebrews" including washing the record with dishsoap.

Kudos to Albert for passing on a what sounds like a great product. I will give it a try soon. Regards, Doug