recommend a good computer and digital camera?

What do people here use for computers and digital cameras? I need to upgrade for surfing the audio sites and put up photos for my audio gear, of course.
I heard Gateway has quality problems and Dell nickel and dimes you on options. So I was looking at Hewlett-Packard. Is Compaq any good? Any other good brands?
I've been using the throwaway Kodaks on vacations and as much as I hate to get on the camera upgrade bandwagon, blurry photos with NO depth of field is getting too annoying.
For cameras, I've always liked Nikon. J&R sells the 4 mega pixel Coolpix 4300 for $399.99. It takes 8 good pic's or 293 low res pic's. 3x optical zoom sounds useful. Any thoughts on better brands?
Thanks.
And please, only nice people need respond. (sorry, I couldn't resist).
cdc

Showing 1 response by mrfastguy250aol

Ive owned more than quite a few digital cameras, you really dont need huge megapixels to take good pictures, i have had good results using several of the olympus models including the very economical D-150 to the more expensive 4 megapixel
D40. One of the main reasons i like these is they use AA batteries and rechargeables work great! With proprietary battery cameras, when it does, you find the charger and an outlet, not always convenient. I now use a Sony DSC-P9 that is this way, great camera again however.
The reason i switched to the Sony dig camera however is both my laptop and my Sony MXS-10 as well as other models have on board memory stick bays instead of transfering data any other way, i have found this works great. I bought my mother a lesser model Sony PC that also has the memory stick slot. GREAT FEATURE.
If you look on Ebay you can get very good deals on new or refurb computers and cameras.

Hope this helps and good luck.