Recommend a desktop nearfield speaker for me

I'm a bit confused as to whether "bookshelf speakers" are designed to be listened to from a distance, or if they are suitable on a computer desk where the distance to the ear is only ~2 feet. Or, if they are equally good in both situations (which seems to be tough).

I understand that nearfield speakers are optimized for small distances, but they are mostly active speakers, and I need a passive speaker.

Could someone recommend a passive nearfield speaker or bookshelf speaker that works well at small distances, for use on a computer desk?

My tube amp (LTA UL+) puts out 20 Wpc into 8 ohms.

I'm considering:

1. DeVore micr/O
2. BBC LS3/5A speakers such as the Harbeth P3SR
3. Focal Aria 1, maybe Sopra 1 if I stretch my budget. However the recommended amp power is 25W - 150W whereas my amp is 20W, so might not be ideal.
4. Omega Super Alnico High Output

Which (or others) might be best suited for my amp and 2-feet distance use-case? Also, the smaller the better...

128x128atriya

This thread has spurred me to think about finding some little bookshelf speakers to use in my gym/shop. My needs aren’t much different from the OP’s, so I hope I’m not hijacking the thread. The speakers must be: less than 12-in high, because they’ll sit on a workbench under a shelf; front-ported or sealed-cab, because they’ll be up against a wall; and easy to drive with low-watt tubes, as I’ll be using a 10w push-pull EL84 integrated. So far, only the Proac Tablette 10 seems to fit all criteria. Other ideas? What have I overlooked?

EDIT: I just realized the Devore Micr/O would also fit the bill, albeit at a higher price-point.

@wrm57 based on your criteria

NHT SuperZero 2.1 
Fyne F300     
Ascend HTM-200SE     
Polk Audio T15     
Sonus Faber Lumina  
Paradigm Premier 100B 
Q Acoustics 5020       
Diapason Micra III Excel
Diapason KARIS III       
Diapason Karis WAVE   
Acoustic Energy AE100 
Usher s-520          
PSB Imagine XB     
Mission LX-2 MKII 
GolderEar BRX     
Triangle Bro2

These all under 12", over 87db sensitivity. I did not check the port, I am adding it to now to my database. It's sorted by height. I can send you all the data, 24 columns.

of course. As you see, I didn’t include the Devore and the Proac - already on your list. The ProAc is superb, based on mentions and reviews. I am a bit incredulous about the Devore. But I haven’t heard them, it’s just based on their web site and who have praised them (youtube reviewers). I think there are BS reviewers vs. down to earth reviewers, so a lot of inferences there....

I’m leaning pretty heavily towards a used pair of the Tablette 10, maybe the Sig version. The Devores are intriguing but probably more than I care to spend on this little system.