Receiver vs Processor

It seems that the new receivers, regardless of price, are coming with all the latest capabilities, i.e., Ultra THX, EX, 6.1, 7.1, composite video inputs, etc... I already have a 2-channel power amp and multi-channel amp, so I was thinking about using a cheap to mid-level receiver as my processor. Since I will be using quality amps, will the sound be comparable to that of a higher-end dedicated processor. If so, what are some good recommendations for a receiver. I know this will be a slight waste since I won't be using the receivers internal amps, but there is quite a price and capability difference between a mid-level receiver and a quality processor like the DC-1. Also, I don't plan to use this for music, just HT.

Thanks,

Tbone
tbone

Showing 1 response by chilidog91311

I dissagree with the Porscchecab. ESPECIALLY if your just doing home theater, really your going to find better value in a receiver as your pre/pro, simply because they're clean enough, and they have so so many inputs/features for the money! Prices are so competetive in that arena, that you can get a jam packed feature loaded receiver for not to much money! And the preamp sections and processors in them are clean enough to give you very clean sound!...at least as clean or refined as what's comming of the not so special sounding Lexicon DC1 pre/pro! That unit just sounds like another plain vanilla digital pre/pro to me!...and all the reviewers will agree on that if you read the reviews on the DC1!
Even the Acurus ACT 3 or Classe SSP25 were sonically MUCH MUCH CLEANER AND MORE REFINED SOUNDING than any of the marginally decent sounding Lexicons!
I would submit to you that for your purposes and or budget(although, yes, you could get even more refined sound with lower noise floor, etc, with a more expensive outboard prepro) a receiver would work very well for your purposes! If you can, you might want to go around and listen to some of the pieces out there for things like overall sound, background noise level, features, etc, all at different price points. You may find you can find a killer receiever for your purposes that's fairly inexpensive comparatively!
Good luck