Receiver vs Processor

It seems that the new receivers, regardless of price, are coming with all the latest capabilities, i.e., Ultra THX, EX, 6.1, 7.1, composite video inputs, etc... I already have a 2-channel power amp and multi-channel amp, so I was thinking about using a cheap to mid-level receiver as my processor. Since I will be using quality amps, will the sound be comparable to that of a higher-end dedicated processor. If so, what are some good recommendations for a receiver. I know this will be a slight waste since I won't be using the receivers internal amps, but there is quite a price and capability difference between a mid-level receiver and a quality processor like the DC-1. Also, I don't plan to use this for music, just HT.

Thanks,

Tbone
tbone

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

But Chilidog, I am going to side with Porschecab as far as getting a dedicated "pre/pro" is concerned. I am saying that because he already has a two channel power amp and a multichannel one as well, so he does not need to put any money toward the internal amplifiers that a receiver is going to provide if he's not going to be using them. Instead, why can't use the same money that he would've otherwise use for paying for the internal amplifiers for a receiver and use it to pay for some refinement in a "pre/pro" instead?? Outlaw supposedly makes a killer "pre/pro" that retails for less than $1,000.00. I don't think it can do THX or Ultra THX. But I am quite sure it can do 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1. And I know for certain is has component and composite video inputs. If I am putting together a setup like what "Tbone" is putting together, I don't think I would waste all of that performance and refinement by using a receiver. Not when there's the Outlaw Pre/Pro out there.

--Charles--