receiver or preamp

hi yall.  i listen to music only (no movies) and then only the fm radio or records.  currently, i've been running a receiver > power amp > speakers, but i don't like my receiver and it's developing quirks i no longer want to put up with.  
i was going to replace my receiver but kinda got 'scolded' by nobody i know for not just buying a tuner and a preamp.  i certainly don't need the extra functions of a receiver but is it that foolish to go with a receiver (as an fm tuner / preamp)?  i've got less than a grand in my system total and will likely only ever replace my phono preamp and maybe my cartridge after this. my logic is i can spend 200 on a receiver or spend 500 on a pre and a tuner.  receiver seems the logical choice as we don't sit and absorb our music, we just have it on as we go about our days doing whatever.  thank you.
kittenbits
The newer Denon receivers can virtually shut off the amps turning themselves into pre/amp processors, that are just get a Marantz 7705 pre/pro and call it a day.
i have a parasound hca1000a and energy connoisseur c-9's.  i've tried them without an amp and they're totally lame.  with an amp though, i'm going to keep them for a long time.  
I ran a receiver (as a pre-amp) and separate amp many years ago when I was just starting out. It worked pretty good but when I finally bought a separate pre-amp it was a big step up. You have a nice little amp and a good pre-amp would make it shine. On the other hand, you'll have to add a tuner to the stack but there are cheap ones that sound good. 
@kittenbits  - Good luck. I hope you find something that suits you. I would be leery of any of the new HT receivers as a front end for your analog-only (FM radio and phono) system as they have a whole bunch of circuitry that contributes nothing to your needs (and likely detracts, even if the button says "direct"). I have yet to hear an HT receiver that had a good FM tuner or sounded worth a darn for 2-channel listening. 

I still recommend a pre-amp/tuner combo, for simplicity, if you can find one. It doesn't have any circuitry you don't need. Nice and simple, analog only, and nothing you don't need or want. 

A separate pre-amp and tuner would be my next choice.

If you are going to try a receiver, buy a 2-channel stereo receiver (with pre-outs) and not an HT receiver. Too much un-necessary circuitry to either go bad and take out the whole receiver, or detract from your analog-only needs. If you insist on a relatively modern HT receiver, don't pay more than $50 - $100. Your not going to use any of the stuff that makes them expensive.