Really Inexpensive Systems That Sounded Great?

I think there is a big difference between "cheap" and inexpensive. I have blown money on "cheap" cables and immediately regretted it when my ears started bleeding from the brightness in my digital components. I also don’t mean "bargains" like the time I scored $2000 speakers for $200 on Craigslist, that is basically luck.

I am talking about inexpensive (less than $1500) for a system that sounded really great to you.

I fell into a whole house audio system from DTS Play-Fi because I wanted to try and compare different brands. I picked up Play-Fi amps, preamps and active speakers made by Polk, Paradigm, Klipsch, Onkyo and DefTech all for less than $1000 a pop. For what it is, whole house audio/casual listening it sounds great.

What inexpensive great sounding systems have you tried?

kota1

@daveselbow 

+1, that type of system could not be built for the cost of those speakers, maybe even for 2-3 times more.

To the OP's original question, because I recently decided to retire some old gear that  failed and tried to find new reliable gear on a budget (rather than looking for 30-yr old "finds" with fingers crossed or counting on repairs).

Schiit Freya (original version), plus I ignored everyone (because I have a small room) and bought Maggie LRS and a Schiit Aegir. Smaller REL sub-bass. With an ifi Zen Stream and Tidal Hifi/Masters. Sound is delightful. Price below $1k per component. 

I have a Fosi tube amp with some B&W  LM -1’s plugged into my computer In my office. I upgraded the tubes, stream music all day. People can’t believe how good it sounds. Yea not bad for $250.  

Oh, I have another inexpensive setup that sounds great:  Marantz 2235B receiver, Pioneer DV-610AV player (for SACD, DVD-Audio, CD), ADS L300 speakers, and  Velodyne MiniVee active subwoofer (via Marantz pre-out).  Mahalo & Aloha...