RB-301 Spring "ringing" when VTF set to "2"?

With the VTF set to "2" as required by my Dynavector 20XL, when I tap my RB-301 I can hear the spring in the VTF mechanism ringing. Is this normal?
vinyladdict

Showing 3 responses by rauliruegas

Dear Vinyladdict: Unfortunately with the commercial tonearms ( vintage/today ) that are dinamically balanced designs ( a desirable tonearm characteristic. ) like seems to me the Rega 301, the tonearm must use a VTF mechanism ( independent of the counterweight through a dial VTF control. ) to set the VTF, almost all ( if I recall. ) but Micro Seiki MAX 237/282, use some kind of spring to make that job but this VTF springs has its own resonances ( micro-resonances/vibrations. ) that degrade the signal cartridge performance.

The Jea48 advice to set the VTF through the counterweight ( static tonearm balance way. ) and not through the " springs " give you a better quality cartridge performance.

From my tonearms/cartridges experiences IMHO this " little " change in any dynamicaly balanced tonearm ( to static way, including the MS ) is worth to try it: the sound reproduction " suffer " a change for the better almost always.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear Doug: Maybe I'm missing something in your post because I don't understand why: the question may arise.

As Jea48 point out in any tonearm you can do it through the counterweight movements( forward/rearward ) with out the necessity to engage the springs ( you don't need it. )

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear Doug: Yes to that tiny VTF changes your O-ring is very good answer to it, yes now I remember about.

regards and enjoy he music.
Raul.