"Beginner" audiophile Turntable for $200-$300?

I'm yet another "newbie" wanting to listen to my long-time stale album collection (primarily pop). I don't see myself being a tweaker, at least in the beginning - I just want a "plug & play" turntable, I suppose, for now. I just want to set it up and play my albums - but I do want the most accurate reproducibility of the information on my albums as I can get with $200-$300 (my budget, more or less).

It's the techie/perfectionist in me to make sure that I get a good deal (which means I can upgrade parts - rather than the whole thing...so that I could spread the costs across many paychecks ;-). This is how many of my other hobbies are (Ham Radio, PCs, etc.).

It would seem that if I only wanted "plug & play", and since I'm just a newbie in this, I would go with the less expensive Music Hall MMF-2.1 (which is NOT upgradeable). No one recommends the even less expensive Sony PS-LX350H (or anything from Sony) which is where I began my journey researching this topic. The MMF-2.1 seems to be THE entry-level/beginner audiophile turntable. But, based on reviews and posts, I'm worried about Music Hall's apparent lack of quality workmanship throughout; lack of a good manual (especially for a newbie that doesn't know how to properly setup a more "audiophile" like, manual turntable); and the fact that "just" another $100 (or so) would get me a much better sounding turntable (based on my research so far) that is at least somewhat upgradeable (NAD 533).

The reviews and posts on the NAD 533 are much better than for the MMF-2.1 - and I understand that the tone arm is "basically" a Rega RB-250. In deed, the entire turntable is OEM'd by Rega for NAD and is slightly different than a Rega P2. Based on reviews & posts, I also plan to upgrade to a better cartridge than the one that comes with the NAD 533 - but that's another $100! ARGGG!!!! Oh well, maybe later (I just want very good reproducibility - so I lean toward purchasing a new cartridge before I spend any effort on listening or transferring my album collection to CD - at least for in-car listening).

The VPI HW-19 Jr looks like the ultimate in upgradeability, especially in that it can be upgraded to a full-blown TNT Series 5! But, I cannot see paying $600/$650 (at the minimum, for a used one) right now.

So, I'm strongly leaning toward the NAD 533 for now!

I appreciate any suggestions/recommendations/feedback.

Thanks,

Wes
wlusk5fd8

Showing 11 responses by jimbo3

For maximum bang for the buck, you'd have to look at used equipment. The Nad 533 would be a good choice along with a P2 or even a Technics SL-1200. All of these can be had for around $200 used and all can be tweeked. One of the members here (member name 'Psychicanimal') reports good success with various tweeks on the 1200.

Of course, as an investment, you'd rarely, if ever, get anything more for upgrades and tweeks when you go to sell, so be careful about spending a ton of dough on tweeking.

If it were me, I'd hold off and get a used P3 for around $400 because of resale considerations, then start saving up for a mid-priced table. It would be less expensive and more satisfying in the long run.

Regards
Jim
Wes- Please let us know what comprises rest of your system. Also, what kind of phono pre are you going to be using?

Jim
Bundee- I wasn't aware that Rega's ran 1% fast. Mine ran at the correct speed. If a table did run 1% fast, the sound would be pitched ever-so-slightly higher.

Better quality arms will improve soundstage, background quietness, dynamics, distortion, and retrieve more music information.

With a reasonably good table and cartridge set up properly (i.e. stable, level, aligned, tracking force) you should be able to sit back and enjoy with no problem. Without knowing what the rest of your system is or your plan or budget, it would be difficult to suggest tables, but I think that the biggest bang for the buck for most to get started in analog would be in the $400 to $700 (retail)range for the table & arm and around $300 to $500 (retail) for the cartridge . Good combos can be had for around $5-600.

Bundee, it sounds like you've done a fair amount of homework, so the most important thing to do is to get started! Get a good clean record and take it to NYC to try a few tables and decide!!

Regards
Jim
Wes- Fear not!! You're system is light years ahead of my first system. Most of us have been where you are. Haven't looked lately, but Kenwood used to be pretty good sounding gear for the dollar- much better than most of the other mass marketed brands. Reminiscing for a second, I used to have a Kenwood 40 wpc integrated amp which blew the socks off a friend's 120 wpc Pioneer recvr.

Given your system and assuming that you plan to upgrade other components along the way, I'd stick with my original suggestion of a used P3, especially if you can find one with the Rega cartridge included. (No fussing with VTA or alignment as it's virtually fixed in the correct place.) For an extra $150 now, it would leave you free to upgrade other components a step or two and not be compelled to upgrade the table to take advantage of those components.

To answer your question about hooking up an outboard phono pre, you are correct- you plug it into "AUX".

A potential sytem upgrade path for your situation would be to then use the Kenwood's pre/pro output to a separate amp, then get an outboard phono amp and a cartridge upgrade. You didn't mention what speakers you had, but, after the amp, you might dive into a pair of main speakers. Then you could sell the Kenwood and pick up a separate pre/pro.

Speaking from experience, making one bigger step with each component is easier and much less expensive than making several 1/2 steps. You'll reach your goal quicker, easier and far less expensively. Plus, as you upgrade other components, you can immediately take advantage of the better quality you have already purchased along the way. The basic lesson is to PLAN and TAKE YOUR TIME! (Heck, up till a couple of weeks ago, my speakers were only less than 10% of the cost of my system and worked fine till I finally upgraded them two years after upgrading everything else!)

Regards
Jim
Wes- The HW-19 Jr is a fine table. The plinth and motor is probably better than the P3, but most of the arms that were mounted to the Jr were considerably less than the RB-300 found on the P3. On balance, they are about equivalent, IMHO. Upgrading the Jr, just like upgrading most things, is a fairly expensive route. If your decision comes down to those two tables, I'd ask around about comparing the two before leaping. I'd tend to believe that the P3 might be more bang for the buck in used equipment, but don't have first-hand experience.

I think you'd be surprised what your Infinities would sound like with a nice amp and a good source signal, be it analog or digital. When/if it comes time, a pair of main speakers could replace your left and right speakers for both audio and HT and keep the other speakers for HT.

BTW- Darn few on this forum even think about snickering at someone else's system. Virtually all have started out looking forward to upgrading to what you now have. This generally isn't a "keep up with the Jones'" crowd, so don't concern yourself with that.

Regards
Jim
Wes- I'm in San Antonio just north of the airport. If you're in the area, c'mon over.

Jim
Wes- If your looking for new, the P2, NAD 533 and Moth Alamo are all essentially the same thing and are probably the biggest bang for the buck. Any of them would keep up with your system if/when you upgrade other components. If you should consider purchasing used equipment, I've had nothing but great experiences buying from folks here on A'gon- it's definately WAY better than dealing through that large E auction company. (You know the one.)

If you get a chance, by all means, take Albert up on his kind offer- it's a great group of folks and a very pleasant way to spend a Tuesday evening.

Regards
Jim
Bundee- Seeing how, if it turns out you like analog, you'd probably upgrade immediately, why not jump into a used P3 or one of the better Music Halls (also used)? Either of these would give you a fairly accurate portrail of the analog experience and, if you don't care for analog or would like to upgrade, you could sell it very readily for about what you paid. Looking at your system, either of those tables would fit in nicely. You might run the risk of being disappointed with something less, plus you could look at other areas to upgrade before changing out the table.

Separately, perhaps the one P3 that Stereophile tested just happened to be a little off-speed? What other table did they test and what were their findings?

Regards
Jim
Hi Brad- You might be better off starting another thread to pose your question. This thread has pretty much run it's course and a carefully worded title on a new thread will attract the attention of those who may know of your two tables.

On the other hand, you could try your cart on both tables and see which one you like better! If you don't have an alignment protractor, now is the time to get one. a basic one costs about $5-10.

Regards
Jim

Brad- Go to for an idea of what an alignment protractor is/does and how to use it. You'll alo need a good level (the one in your toolbox will do just fine) and the stylus force gauge (the dial force adjuster on the tonearm is usually not very accurate). I got a basic laminated protractor from the folks at Well Tempered Labs for around $6. Protractors that you print from a wedsite are usually not accurate due to various distortions (no such thing as "perfect protractors forever" in the digital domain!), so let loose of a couple of bucks.

Please do try to start a new thread- you'll have an infinitely better chance of finding someone who knows about your tables with an appropriately-titled thread.
I suspect that there probably isn't too much difference between the two.

Regards
Jim
Brad- sorry, this site seemed to block out the web address of the site I was directing you to. Let's try it again-

Go to turntablebasics dot com.

Jim