Question on Denon DL-103 retipping options and preferences

I have been looking at getting a Denon DL-103 retipped and I have narrowed it down to getting it done by Steve at VAS or by Andy at Needle Clinic. 

Both companies approach to the DL-103 is very different and I am curious if anyone has heard cartridges from each or what you think that may be better for amazing sounding rock.

Steve recommends a wood housing and then will do a Boron/MR retipping, where Andy will modify the plastic housing on the DL-103 to convert it's enclosed outer body to a half nude body, lightening it up which he says will make it track better.  His conversion will be a micro ridge nude stylus (sapphire/boron cantilever) 

So as stated very different approaches, same cost for the most part, I have ruled Soundsmith out just based on time, I know Andy turns around in a day, but have read a lot about both so I figured I would ask the question to see where people lean more often.  I do already have an ebony housing, just want to get a cartridge that punches way above its weight.

If there is something I should look at outside the DL-103 I would be open to hear about it.

Just for the record this cartridge will be going on a SOTA Sapphire VI with an Audiomods series 6 tonearm and I have a McIntosh MP100 going to a tube rolled Schiit Freya+ driving by two Odyssey Kismet monoblocks and Martin Logan speakers.  
128x128justinrphillips

Showing 3 responses by tomwh

So if I understand  this correctly  you have had  this 103 and played it  long enough  to wear it out.  If this is the case what did you  like and  what did you dislike.  What kind of rock are talking about  Steely Dan or Metallica or  maybe some punk.  A  lot of rock albums  are lean.  A stock 103  can help bring them alive.  When you retip with the so called up graded cantilever and or stylus you give up some full body sound of the midrange for some  detail.  So depending  on gear, and tastes only you can make that decision.   For  the record I have  4 dl 103 and 2 103r.  2 retiped and 1 wood body.

Enjoy the ride
Tom
Chakster how many master tapes do you own.  What groups are they and and which albums.  What equipment  where  these tapes made on and what equipment did they play them back on to finalize  the finished product.  Also what  play back equipment  did you use in your  home to ,play the  master tapes back and what equipment  did you use to play your album on to know  your choices in cartridges  sound the same?

Also  on your reference system at home  does a Decca,  grado,  ortofon, AT,  grace,  denon,  sound like the master tape.  How about your  room at your house same condition  as the studio.   I am assuming  you have the same  speakers/ headphones as tape studio and equipment.  That just reminded me  all the studios did not  use  same equipment  so I assume  you have  list of the  studios equipment  which produced  the master tapes you own, so you can  set up  the right equipment  to AB to the cartridge  which is identical  to the master tape.

Are you using your 2 stage 2a3  SET amp to make these comparisons.   For the record I had a grace f9e for over 20 years  a nice polite  cartridge.  For rock and roll the denon will wipe the floor over the F9E.  A grado sonata will  beat up a F9e in rock and roll and was  never design  for that.  But maybe you do not  own a master tape with rock and roll on it.

Enjoy the ride
Tom

PS  I forgot to ask about the pressing  facilities and their equipment.   I have 3 different  labels for some of my favorite   albums . Quess what they all sound different.   Do not know which one sounded like the master , but I do have preferences  in my system.
Justin  you might want to talk to Jeff at audiomod.  I built the 1st or 2nd kit  he had years ago.  He made  head shell weights for the  the arms for  the 103.  Ask him about rock and roll and jazz with the denon 103.  I pretty sure he has used or heard them.  Also you  might  google  103 and 103r and  see what the of the world has to say.  I always  find  this statement  humorous.   Well it  did not do this or that but boy was it musical.  Also if  you use  103 or 103r experiment  with the loading.  I can use any loading  in 1 ohm increments  and have found lower than 1 to 10 Golden  rule to be better with denons.

Enjoy the ride 
Tom