Question on Denon DL-103 retipping options and preferences

I have been looking at getting a Denon DL-103 retipped and I have narrowed it down to getting it done by Steve at VAS or by Andy at Needle Clinic. 

Both companies approach to the DL-103 is very different and I am curious if anyone has heard cartridges from each or what you think that may be better for amazing sounding rock.

Steve recommends a wood housing and then will do a Boron/MR retipping, where Andy will modify the plastic housing on the DL-103 to convert it's enclosed outer body to a half nude body, lightening it up which he says will make it track better.  His conversion will be a micro ridge nude stylus (sapphire/boron cantilever) 

So as stated very different approaches, same cost for the most part, I have ruled Soundsmith out just based on time, I know Andy turns around in a day, but have read a lot about both so I figured I would ask the question to see where people lean more often.  I do already have an ebony housing, just want to get a cartridge that punches way above its weight.

If there is something I should look at outside the DL-103 I would be open to hear about it.

Just for the record this cartridge will be going on a SOTA Sapphire VI with an Audiomods series 6 tonearm and I have a McIntosh MP100 going to a tube rolled Schiit Freya+ driving by two Odyssey Kismet monoblocks and Martin Logan speakers.  
128x128justinrphillips

Showing 1 response by peguinpower

Ive used both. Contrary to whats been said by another poster; my experience with both with retipping is that they cut the stylus close to the suspension and adhere a new one on. Ive never experience just changing the diamond.

Both retipped Dynavectors for me. Both did good work. Audio memory being as unreliable as it is, my opinion is that retipping is like changing from one good amplifier to another. They wont sound the same as the original, it will be a little different. In each time, I got 97% of what the cartridge sounded like, but its never exactly the same. For 30% of the cost of a new cartridge, Im  cool with that.

i dont have a Denon 103 and havent done any cartridge body mods so I cant comment on those. I’ll tell you this, Andy and Steve have told me what to expect from the work, and theyve been reliable with their advice. Steve is friendlier, Andy is leas chattier. Hope that helps.