Question for technicians

Recently I noticed my system was sounding dull and flat. Then I discovered there was little to no sound out of the right speaker, just an intermittent weak signal accompanied by static. Later, I noticed that I could make the signal come and go by merely touching the preamp's input selector switch, or applying a slight push-or-pull pressure to the control knob. I don't have any audio shops around here that I trust and I can do simple things like solder touch-up, continuity checks with a vom etc... Any ideas of how to go about checking this out? (greatly appreciate any and all advice)
rawinsonde
Just for the record, I believe I said "selector" switch in an earlier post, but the faulty switch is actually the balance control (L to R) ... I'll try Atmasphere's vigorous attack method as that stuff seems to dry instantly and I doubt that it has any penetrating ability.
I work on vintage electronics a lot. The better stuff frequently have 'J pots' in them- Allen Bradley J-Style potentiometers. They are really well sealed. If they get noisy, the technique above actually works fairly well on them unless they are really far gone. In that case you have to drill a small hole in them which is really dicy, but at least then you can clean them.
this is an arc sp9-ii if you happen to know what style pots it has... I worked the switch many times as you suggested and it appears fine. hope it holds up. thanks
Twice I have rotated the bal switch end to end maybe 50 times. It works for quite a while and then you do it again. I guess the friction burnishes the contacts enought to eliminate the oxidation and make a good contact. In due time, the cycle repeats.... thanks to all of you who contributed to the issue!