Quest for an external Dac has resulted in me way down the rabbit hole

Hi audio wizards!  I’ve read several articles and reviews about the benefits of a good quality external DAC, and the potential for “real” improvements in musical quality in a current system. I do believe my system might be in line .  I currently have a Rotel 955 CD player I like, a nodeii and a Creek evo 100 integrated amp.  The Ohm 1000 speakers sound a little lean in the top end although I do like them overall.  At this point I’ve been looking for a Dac that would bring a little more “spring and liven up my system”.  However, the more I research, the more confused I get.  I’ve been to a couple higher end stereo stores and I seem to just get the “party line”.  I live in Denver Colorado, and although I like the PS Audio line I can’t afford them.  If any one has any advice for me on a good quality external     
Dac model for under $1000 (new or used) I could sure use the help! Thank you

128x128dbwinters

The balance on Ares DAC is even better, I am using  Audioquest water xlr using Schiit Freya plus preamp.

@dbwinters 

Which stores in Colorado did you visit ? I’m in Colorado too. Jess over at Soundings is great. Andy over at Listen Up is also really good to work with. Did you visit them by chance? 

Ron 

I haven't been to Soundings yet, I liked them but wasn't sure if they were focused on home installs now (that's what I heard

Soundings is a little pricier. They have Boulder , Chord and HiFi Rose Dacs that I know of. I’m using the DAC in my 866 right now. It’s been a while since I’ve been to Listen up so you will probably know what they carry better than me. I know Aurrender is one of their brands. Andy works in the Boulder store and he did tell me he was changing positions to focus on home installations but I can’t imagine they would treat someone like you or I with any less importance. I was calling him to get prices on REL subs. Good luck! 

Ron 

You may want to go to Crescendo Fine Audio.  Among others, they have the Chord Qutest.  I really liked it when they let me audition it at home.  I have a PS Audio Direct Stream and the Chord was almost there.  My son has the iFi and it sounds really good.  I have heard the Schitt Modi in my son's system, it is OK.  Good value.  I have been burned by several manufacturers - they all have two things in common:  No returns.or Warranty not transferrable.