Pure Class-A Amp under $2000 (USED)

Hello everyone,

There are so many brands out there that I couldn't catch up with, so I opened a thread about Class-A Amp for discussion. My budget is around $2000 for a Stereo Amplifier (No need for Pre), could you guys help me to suggest me some?

- DAC: Exogal Comet

- Pre/Amp: Yamaha Intergrated A-9 (My current, but want to update)

- Speaker: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0

- Cable: Acrolink (Power, Interconnect, Speaker)

=> I think the wattage range between 30-60WPC for Class-A is powerful and popular. The production date of amplifier should not too old, I think after 199x is nice.

128x128darkknight8586

Showing 6 responses by arcticdeth

is 2K your absolute max??

there is a classe ca 301 stereo amp.

and a pair of paramount jc1 monos up. well over budget, but maybe? great stuff!

keep checking the Gon, lots stuff always being listed and sold, just be ready for the one you want, as the good stuff gets sold fast.

you need more than 60 measly watts.

if you  like some volume, low watt amps are not for you, if you just like mid volume, then you may be fine with the proper speakers.

me, i like loud, raven, venom, celtic frost, pat travers, motorhead, living death, assassin, bathory, humble pie, hirax, bitches sin, onslaught, jungle rot, malevolent creation, etc so i need my amps and my speakers which are warm (less treble, not searing) which makes for more relaxed, listening time for me.

if you like some JAM time, get min 200-300W rms. there will be no clipping, no loss of sound, no muffled anything.

if you just like barry manilla, james taylor, ravi shankar, etc, the low watt will sound great!

whatever you do, steer clear of that Emoteva tripe.

gain is ultra high, you will have tweeter hiss

plus the service on them is a disgrace to audio.

they are ok for what they are entry level stereo separates .

nothing more.  i did hear the new flagship speaker was fairly descent, despite the very low Watts/current allowed. for such a good size speaker, i think its only 250W

i do like the folded horn tweeter if the source material is well recorded.

heavy metal through the Emo amps was painful, they are bright, even with a 92 1w/1m pair of old speakers i had 15+ years ago.

they were ok for country, or reg rock, but metal,...aaaarrrgggghhhhh shrill, i even switched speakers, and still shrill and molar grinding.

had the xpa-1 monos.  big bulky, and those knight rider like blue meters on the front were making the amp look cheap and low end. as it is. i had them shut off from first warmup.

if you know about class A, im sure you know about that Emo mess

Keep checking audio gon and usmart for a nice class A amp, as I told another seeker, ne ready to jump on it if your ready.

those nice class A amps go fast. Keep classe, pass labs in your everyday search, and get when you find t one don’t worry, most used ones will be a good bit affordable, I almost hit “buy” button on a pair of pass labs amps years ago, I waited another day, and a pristine pair of McCormack dna-750’s went up for sale, messaged the seller, am I had made my decision, grabbed the pair with shipping for a steal, 600-650W at 8 Ohm and over 1000W rms at 4 Ohm. Stable below  four Ohms. I then started looking for the LD-2 preamp, and the UDP-1 spinner. 
new price for those 3. Pieces would be 17K plus new, I did a good job with all 3. 
could not be happier, patience is the key to happiness,  and looking few times a day.

good luck!