PS: Typical McGowan Sound? -- HCA-2 & Classic 250

The commentary I have read on the HCA-2 has been mixed, but the criticisms I read remind me of the typical criticisms that have been expressed on all of Paul McGowan's designs in the past: An upfront, technicolor upper midrange & lower treble, some harmonic thinness, & a tight, but lean bass.

I'd sooner believe the review on Audiogon than I would KR's review in Stereophile, whose questionable hearing I don't trust.

In looking at the responses to the Audiogon review, it is interesting to see that half the responders love it; the other half hate it. By seeing all of them for sale on 'Gon now, you wonder what the real scoop is.

I'm kind of interested in the CLASSIC 250, which is a non-digital design that has alot of hoopla about it on the PS website. Has anyone heard or bought this amp, or compared it to the HCA-2?
kevziek

Showing 5 responses by zenaissance

Why bother with reviews? Just audition the HCA-2 with the free 30 day trial period from PS Audio. Since you haven't even listened to this amp at all, it makes no sense reading what others have to say. When a unit is priced as low as the PS Audio and rated as high, it becomes obvious that many people would like to find fault with it to justify the fact that it isn't quite up to task. I own the HCA-2 and have had the opportunity to listen to far more expensive amps but it wasn't the price that drew me to it, even though I could afford more- it was the sound. The bass was sufficient- heck- I am using it to drive ML Aerius i's and have successfully driven Maggies 1.6 with no problem at all.

The 250 is slightly better (more power, resolution, and harmonic richness) but it is a different beast altogether (it is not a digital hybrid amp). Yet the difference is only about 5-10% improvement over the HCA-2 (to my ears anyways). It may justify the extra cost but to be honest I could find little to complain about the HCA-2- it presents music in a very open and honest way without exaggeration.

Just audition the amp before relying on the opinion of others. If it doesn't work out, just return it with your money back. You have nothing to lose. Your ears are the best judges in your personal audio preferences.

Hi Kevziek,

Not an ad for PS Audio at all- I had the choice between Musical Fidelity, Classe, Pass Labs & PS Audio- I chose the HCA-2 purely on the basis of sound- I liked what I heard even though I was looking in the $3000-$4000 range for SS power amps. Nobody has paid me to say how I felt about the HCA-2 amp. There is no pandering to advertisers- for the past number of months there are no PS Audio ads in Stereophile other than dealer classifieds.

Everyone has a right to question an equipment's design. However you seem to be more concerned with what this amp purportedly cannot do in a measurement, rather than what it CAN do in a listening test. I am sure a number of years down the road, even the Halcro amps may be subject to scrutiny when something else can perform better.

Your point about distortion is one that many fellow audiophiles fall for- in fact there has never been any solid evidence that a higher distortion (in any high quality stereo of today) causes a degradation or manipulation of sound as to make something sound so remarkably different. You would have to check out those old phonograph machines for that! Select some tube amps and you will agree that measurements differ- stats are helpful but not entirely reliable, especially in high-end audio. It is of course unfair to compare a tube amp to the HCA-2. They are two different models. It is equally unfair to compare the HCA-2 amp to other SS amps. JA's measurements were designed specifically with analog in mind, and not digital; the HCA-2 is a different amp altogether and should be compared directly with other Class D digital amps.

If you want a second opinion on distortion and measurements regarding the HCA-2 check out:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/ps-audio-hca-2-power-amplifier-6-2002.html

JA's concern is obvious because ever since he started measurements in Stereophile in the late 80s, there was always some need out there to justify how numbers may determine the way equipment sounds. The HCA-2 is a new breed of amps that JA has never encountered before and so the numbers are somewhat startling- how can an amp with this amount of distortion sound so good? The answer is simple- when an amp switches on and off a half million times a second, and generates very little heat, traditional analog measurements simply won't do.

Nothing in high-end equipment tests is comforting-something new always comes along to capture the spotlight- the only comfort is the proof in listening. High-end audio can be subjective- the more so when we read too much into reviews. The HCA-2 is an amp that reaches that critical point of diminishing returns. If it is in your budget, like I said before, try it out. See what the rave is all about. See if it is all hype. See if it justifies what JA's tests came up with. It does no good to debate in theory what it can or cannot do. Put reality to the test and then at least you will know whethre this amp is for you or not.

Happy Listening,

Zenaissance
Hi Brulee, here's my website that has a few samples of some stories I have written.

http://unicornfountain.homestead.com

It is not out in bookform yet but will be soon. Thanks for your interest.

Happy Listening

Zenaissance
A little qualifying is necessary regarding the number of units available for sale. On last check under the Audiogon classifieds- nine HCA-2s were listed with 8 being available (one sold). Five of those units listed were offered by dealers- the other three were through private hands. In two of the private cases, folks had to sell because they had the opportunity to purchase other units. All of this does not qualify for a failed amplifier design. The number of people who are satisfied with this amp is far greater than those who are not.

As far as Sean's comments about the power cord- most audio reviewers review their amps using any assortment of after market power cords. I am sure you do not use the stock cords that came with your equipment. Cables do make a difference. In the HCA-2's case, the power cord makes even more of a difference- however I have tested it using the standard power cord and have noted that the basic qualities of the amp (smoothness, grain-free sonics, extended treble, and tight bass) are still apparent. Now I am not one who is going to go about raving about any one equipment- but for the price- the HCA-2 is very hard to beat. Perhaps it may not be Stereophile "Class A"- but what does it matter? It is still a very fine amp and one that I along with many others can happily live with.

I can understand how you may question the poor test results in the measurements but like everything else- the choice is all yours. In general, PS Audio has a very solid reputation over the years- with excellent customer service and satisfaction. They are one of the few companies out there who actually listens to their clientele. In fact, there was much public input into the design of the HCA-2 amp as well as the forthcoming PCA-2 pre-amp. Their beta units are designed to bring in public feedback, and this kind of honesty has resulted in a higher level of quality control and assurance. If you have read other comments regarding the brightness of the amps and other supposed flaws, then it is obvious that you have not had the opportunity to personally hear it with your own ears. A good healthy debate is always welcome- JA's questioning of the rating is admirable but it takes nothing away from the fine performance of this amp.

I feel I am qualified to say this because I have burnt over 600 hours on this amp driving both ML Aerius's and Maggies 1.6 (two very hard speakers to drive) with astonishing results. I have played every type of music from 1812 to Bruckner, to Led Zeppelin at high volume and not once have this amp displayed any midbass weakness or glare. The sound was open, powerful and musical. I remembered playing this amp for six straight hours- feeding it nothing but bombastic orchestral music and never did it run out of steam, nor did I experience any listening fatigue. The amp upon touching it was barely warm- not even lukewarm! Can JA measure this? Can this be seen as a flaw? What irritates me the most is when people rely too much other opinions without making their assessments. Measurements in high-end audio is just that- measurements: numbers that are available and printed nicely on glossy brochures. Who is to say that a 24 bit DAC is better? Many older 20 bit DACs sounds more impressive. Who is to say SACD is the best new format? There are thousands of questions and comments in the world of audio. There are thousands more opinions. The beautiful thing about this hobby of ours is that we get to experiment with our own preferences. So just relax and enjoy the show. Remember- to read any review with a grain of salt. Your own (not others) ears should be the decisive judge- not JA, not Stereophile, not PS Audio, not Audio Review, not your friends, not me or other Audiogon inmates. If you find this amp is not for you then move on to something else.

In the end it is enjoying the music that matters most and for MY listening preferences, the HCA-2 amp makes music that much enjoyable.

Happy Listening

Zenaissance

Thanks Brulee- you are indeed quite perceptive! I don't write very often in audio forums but I am a writer of numerous Victorian-style short stories and mysteries (coming out in book form very soon). I also happen to be an English teacher and assistant head of department in a high school in Toronto.

Hope your mother enjoys the amp- it is a fine gift for her.

Happy Listening and Musical Cheers!

Zenaissance